Fish with a Net

“Greatness lies, not in being strong, but in the right using of strength; and strength is not used rightly when it serves only to carry a man above his fellows for his own solitary glory.  He is the greatest whose strength carries up the most hearts by the attraction of his own.”  Henry Ward Beecher

“But among you it will be different.  Whoever wants to be a leader among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be the first among you must be the slave of everyone else.”  Jesus (Mark 10:43-44)

Charisma:  “compelling attractiveness or charm that can inspire devotion in others:”  New Oxford American Dictionary

You can catch more fish with a net than with a line.  It’s a simple idea, but the reality of it’s truth is lost among many of us.  For example, the other day I heard that somebody entered the United States Presidential race with a platform focused on reforming foreign trade.  While that is a very important topic, and in time may become a driving issue, such a narrow focus can get lost in the weeds with all the other problems we face.  Winning presidential candidates early in the process of campaigning often run on all encompassing platforms such as hope, or prosperity.  It’s the same for us as Christians.  There are dozens of Christian denominations that came into being because of small disagreements on issues we generally call doctrine, that most people don’t “really” understand and nobody can “definitely” define.  However, Jesus says in John 12:32 that if He be lifted up, He will draw all men unto Him.  Doctrine is a line and Christ is The Net.  It’s not that doctrine isn’t important, but trying to bring people to Christ using doctrine is like trying to become president by running on the importance of reforestation in southern California.  Or trying to catch a brook trout using bait and hooks designed for a marlin.  Californian reforestation is just not something the farmer in Iowa is worried about.  And the brook trout won’t even be able to get his little mouth around the marlin hook.  Everyone is different.  Everyone has different hopes, motivations, and desires that cause them to worry about different issues.  That goes for every subject in life.  You see, the concept of the net goes beyond politics and religion, it applies to life in general.  No matter what the subject, situation, or obstacle we face, we need to remember the concept of the net.  Furthermore, as Christians, we definitely have to make sure we’re fishing with The Net.  Jesus said to His disciples, “Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.” Matthew 4:19  Let’s do that!

Daily Journaling Questions:

1.  How did I help someone in kindness today?

2.  What did I learn today?

3.  What am I thankful for?

4.  Who did I love today?

5.  What am I dreaming for?

6.  What about today do I want to remember forever?

7.  What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thank you so much for reading, you mean a lot to me.

Jake