When Trust is Better Than a Thank You

“Courage is not about knowing the path, it’s about taking the first step.”  Katie Davis

Now it is required that those who have been given a trust must prove faithful.  1 Corinthians 4:2

Amazima:  Ugandan word meaning “the truth of Christ”

As she cared for an infected wound, caused by a broken bottle, on a boy’s foot, for the second day in a row, then taught him how to treat himself with antibiotics, she noticed one thing.  He never said, “thank you.”  She wondered why for a second, then the answer came to her.  He trusted her.  For over three years she had been in his community caring for children and anyone else who needed it.  It started as a mission trip helping in an orphanage, then transformed into a life full of adopted orphans and abandoned children, all calling her mommy, or auntie Katie.  It took less than a year for her to find out, helping Ugandans was more than a temporary mission.  It was the purpose for her life.  Katie Davis went from helping one child at a time as part of a team in an orphanage, to running an organization called Amazima, that among other things, pays for the complete education of 400 children and feeds 1000 children five days a week, and the numbers keep growing.  When she started on her journey in Uganda, she had no idea what the path would look like or where it would lead, but she had the courage to take the first step.  Since then she has followed the path God has laid out for her and the Ugandan people, step by step proving trustworthy by remaining faithful.  So now, when a child forgets to thank her, Katie Davis can hold her head proudly (though I doubt she does) because it’s proof of her trustworthiness.  As recipients of anything, let’s all strive to remember to say thank you.  It really does make a difference.  And as we give, let’s remember, the reason we may not receive a thank you is because we’re receiving something much more valuable, trust.  And that’s when trust is much better than a thank you.  

Daily Journaling Questions:

1.  How did I help someone in kindness today?

2.  What did I learn today?

3.  What am I thankful for?

4.  Who did I love today?

5.  What am I dreaming for?

6.  What about today do I want to remember forever?

7.  What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thanks for reading.  I encourage anyone who’s interested to check out the work Katie Davis is doing by visiting http://amazima.org/, I know you’ll be moved.

Jake