The Smallest of Touches

“When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.” Helen Keller

My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalms 73:26

Opportunity: “a set of circumstances that makes it possible to do something” New Oxford American Dictionary

I recently read a story from the New York Times about a seven year old little boy named Owen Cain who had a severely disabling motor neuron disease. His parents and caregivers tried numerous methods to help him communicate and give him an escape from his disease, but nothing was working. One day however, the boys nurse brought in an iPad and propped it up in front of him. Then according the New York Times “he did something his mother had never seen before. He aimed his left pointer finger at an icon on the screen and touched it.” Immediately a new world was opened up to Owen, possibilities and opportunities became apparent with one touch. This world can be a harsh place for all of us. In times of doubt, discouragement, or despair, don't give up, there is always an opportunity. If Helen Keller would have let her difficulties in life define what she could accomplish, the world would not be the place it is today. Maybe this little boy will enlighten the world through his window of opportunity. I guess he already has enlightened mine. While we may not be in this little boys situation, our efforts in everything we do could be changing somebodies reality. I'm not sure if the people who helped develop the iPad ever thought that it would be used this way, but it was, and it changed little Owen Cain's world. So whatever we do, let's do it to the best of our ability and remember that we could be changing someones world through the smallest of touches.

Daily Journaling Questions:

How did I help someone in kindness today?

What did I learn today?

What am I thankful for?

Who did I love today?

What am I dreaming for?

What about today do I want to remember forever?

What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thanks for reading.

Jake