The Winning and the Living of Life

“In between goals is a thing called life, that has to be lived and enjoyed.” Sid Caesar

As for the rich in this present age, charge them not to be haughty, nor to set their hopes on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly provides us with everything to enjoy. 1 Timothy 6:17

Joie de vivre: “exuberant enjoyment of life” New Oxford American Dictionary

I was recently watching SportsCenter on ESPN and they ran a rather lengthy story on a little boy named Josiah. Josiah wasn't any little boy, he was a little boy with Hutchison Guilford Progeria Syndrome, a disease that causes children to age prematurely. As a result he will most likely never be a great sports hero, but he loves the game of baseball. Never mind his disadvantages, Josiah loves to put on a baseball uniform and get out on the field to play. He loves the game for the playing, not the winning. From the time I could play any sort of sports I wanted to be good and to win. It's human nature, and I think most of us are that way. And it's not necessarily a bad thing either. Sometimes winning is a requirement, i.e. WWII. But how much more happy could we be, if instead of always looking for ways to win at whatever we do, we were a little more like little Josiah and tried to enjoy life for the living of it not the winning of it.

Daily Journaling Questions:

How did I help someone in kindness today?

What did I learn today?

What am I thankful for?

Who did I love today?

What am I dreaming for?

What about today do I want to remember forever?

What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thank you so much for reading.

Jake