Differentia

“Share our similarities, celebrate our differences.” M. Scott Peck

For yYou created my inmost being; You knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise You because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Your works are wonderful, I know that full well. 
My frame was not hidden from You when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths of the earth. 
Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book 
before one of them came to be. How precious to me are your thoughts,God! 
How vast is the sum of them! Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand - when I awake, I am still with you. Psalm 139:13-18

Differentia: “a distinguishing mark or characteristic.” New Oxford American DictionaryDifference: “a point or way in which people or things are not the same” New Oxford American Dictionary

Differentia is a root word for difference. Notice how positive the definition is. It highlights how things are distinguishable. Now notice the definition for difference, it focuses on how things are different. Everyone knows people are different, everyone has heard that we should celebrate our diversities. But not everyone acts like they understand the beauty in our differentia. When we make fun of others, pointing out their flaws and bolstering our ego by finding ways we are superior, we should remember that, we were all formed by the same creator. We were all formed in His image. We were all given a purpose here on earth. So when we disparage others, we are really saying that God failed in His creation of them. Is that something we really want to do? Remember these two words, “differentia and difference,” while the definitions for both are accurate, what would you like people to point out about you, differences, or distinguished characteristics?

Daily Journaling Questions:

How did I help someone in kindness today?

What did I learn today?

What am I thankful for?

Who did I love today?

What am I dreaming for?

What about today do I want to remember forever?

What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thank you so much for reading.

Jake