An Inveterate Love

“We long for an affection altogether ignorant of our faults.  Heaven has accorded this to us in the uncritical canine attachment.”  George Eliot

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you.”  Deuteronomy 31:6

Inveterate:  “having a particular habit, activity, or interest that is long-established and unlikely to change:”  New Oxford American Dictionary

God sends His love to us in many different forms.  Hawkeye is a brown labrador retriever, but I think there is a little more to him than that.  In God’s infinite wisdom, He has graced us with furry friends that often teach us more about humanity and life than most people can.  So as Hawkeye lay on that cold gymnasium floor, he may not have known why his master could not play with him, or why a large crowd was gathered in the gym with him.  All he knew is the man he loved lay in a wooden box.  And naturally, he knew his place was still by his side.  Maybe it meant nothing to him, certainly there was nothing he could do to bring his master back, he didn’t know the man he loved died as a navy seal.  He did not know his master died when the helicopter he was in came under attack and was destroyed by terrorists in Afghanistan on the sixth of August, 2011.  What Hawkeye knew was loyalty and love, and he showed it in an unwavering way that is often absent among humans.  On the day of his master’s funeral, he paid his respects and said goodbye in a way only man’s best friend can.  To thousands who have seen his picture, Hawkeye embodies a love that is seldom found outside a dog.  A love that is not judgmental, and is not dependent on appearances or circumstances.  It’s a love I can’t help but believe is bestowed on us by our Creator.  He has an inveterate love for us and will not leave us or forsake us.

Daily Journaling Questions:

1.  How did I help someone in kindess today?

2.  What did I learn today?

3.  What am I thankful for?

4.  Who did I love today?

5.  What am I dreaming for?

6.  What about today do I want to remember forever?

7.  What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thank you for reading.  You mean a lot to me.

Jake