Changing Lives

“Shared joy is a double joy; shared sorrow is half a sorrow.” Swedish Proverb

Let us think of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works. And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near. Hebrews 10:24-25

Altruism: “the belief in or practice of disinterested and selfless concern for the well-being of others” New Oxford American Dictionary

In society, there is something most people don't think about, it's called “social capital.” It is measured in the number of bonds people have to one another and the strength of those bonds. It's what keeps cultures, communities, and families together. Sadly, that capital has been decreasing and degrading over the years. Many attribute it to the the widespread use of technologies, such as computers, phones, and digital entertainment. Years ago, people took the time to hand write letters (on paper no less) to one another. Slowly, that faded into phone calls, then emails, now texting is the preferred method for many people to communicate. While it has become easier and easier to communicate words to one another, the ease of it has reduced their value somewhat, and the perceived emotion of true communication has been almost completely stripped away. In many cases, people aren't really sure what their friends think of them, or if they even value them as friends. It's time people band together again and form networks of altruistic support for one another. During the mid eighties the Moose Lodge had nearly 1.8 million members, by the looks and the numbers of their buildings, I'm afraid to know what their current membership level is. For a lot of people, it's not an easy world to live in right now. Empathetic support is needed as much as it ever has. It's important to take time for our friends and family. You never know, the simple act of ensuring that a friend feels more valuable than a TV show may change a life, maybe their's, certainly yours.

Daily Journaling Questions:

How did I help someone in kindness today?

What am I thankful for?

What did I learn today?

Who did I love today?

What am I dreaming for?

What about today do I want to remember forever?

What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thanks for reading.

Jake