「18/31」

18. "'I guess no one would notice if I were gone', I whispered."

---

Two days passed since Dazai went missing.

By now, I am barely able to keep hold of myself. The constant support of the Agency is what keeps me going, and my lessons with Akiko helps me be braver.

Ranpo is still unconscious, but according to Akiko, he appears to be fine. He just needs to wake up before she can say for sure.

Akiko says that she is unable to understand why he doesn't wake up.

Kunikida lets her know that sometimes, an ability doesn't work to the fullest.

"Kira-san, are you going now?" Atsushi asks, when I grab a muffin the next morning.

"Yeah. Why?"

"I'm coming with you." Atsushi says, and grabs his pack of fries. He notices that I am wearing Dazai's trench coat over my light blue dress, but doesn't say anything.

We're about to run outside when Kunikida's figure blocks the door.

"I got word from Taguchi." He announces, and everyone's attention heads to the blond 22 year old.

"We found the location. And we have a plan."

---

"I hate this plan." I hiss.

Kunikida had sent everyone Dazai's location via GPS. He then paired everyone to groups, and I was assigned with Atsushi.

The Mafia had done a good job, taking Dazai underground, where signals are weak.

Bless Rokuzou Taguchi and his hacking skills.

"I know how you feel, Kira-chan. But I'm sure Kunikida-san and Akiko-san were really worried and were careful about how to plan this."

"Yeah, but stillllll." I whine.

"Come on, we need to climb down from here." Atsushi gives me a hand, and we walk down the tunnel entrance. After walking a couple minutes longer, we come across a window.

"Kira-chan, look!"

From the glass window, we can see a person tied to a chair, and he is wearing a black vest over a light blue shirt.

Dazai!

"Kira-san, don't!" Atsushi grabs my hands when I try to break the glass door. "Remember what Kunikida-san said?"

I groan and we peer through the window. Once again, I feel helpless. There is nothing I can do to help the person who has saved me multiple times.

Dazai is tied to the chair so that his back faces towards us. I am itching to see his face and let him know everything will be okay, and the only thing that is keeping me from losing it is Atsushi's tight grip on my wrist.

As we keep on watching, the door flies open and Kunikida and Akiko burst inside.

There is no one else, and Kunikida and Akiko hurry to untie Dazai and break out.

"Rashomon Murakumo!"

Everything is a blur as Akutagawa runs inside, using his Rashomon to hold down both me and Atsushi's seniors.

"Atsushi, you know what to do, right?" I ask.

He gives me a nod, and one of his hands morph into a tiger-hand. He uses it to shield the two of us while he breaks the glass.

"Atsushi, go go go!"

Akutagawa's eyes land on me, but before he can react, I use my ability.

"Doshaburi no Ame!"

Naomi and Kyouka run inside seconds later, and they are followed by at least ten people, all wearing black clothes.

Shit, the Mafia people!

"Naomi, give me an instruction!" Kyouka's voice can be heard, and Atsushi uses his paw to slice all of Dazai's ropes in one go. He then runs in front of the Mafia people to shield Kyouka and Naomi

It is at this moment that my eyes meet with Dazai's for the very first time in the last three days.

He looks shocked, and I don't know if it is because he is finally seeing me, or if it's because I am wearing his trench coat.

I see that his face is bleeding, and instinctively, I run up to him.

Only to be stopped by Rashomon.

"L-Let me go!" I whine, trying to wriggle away for the hand-like object grabbing my wrist and lifting me up.

"God, and I thought we could work out and you'd join the Mafia. I really do have no choice but to kill you now." He hisses to me. He also says something else, but I am unable to hear it because of the gunfire from behind. The two of us glance at the Mafia people lying on the ground. Thanks to Naomi, Kyouka has done her job well.

"I will kill you." Akutagawa hisses.

"Ningen Shikkaku."

Suddenly, I fall to the ground with a thud. When I look back up, I see that Dazai had walked up and clutched a handful of Akutagawa's hair.

"Dazai-san, you will pay for this!" Akutagawa yells, and punches Dazai's face. Dazai goes flying to the other end of the room.

"Dazai!"

"That's exactly what a weak person would do. Now, where was I-"

"You really leave me no choice, Akutagawa." I rage, and pull out the pocket knife from the pocket of the coat I was wearing.

Akutagawa bursts into howls of laughter.

"Wow, a knife? You think you can kill me that way?" His laughter gets louder, as he looks at both Kunikida and Akiko lying on the ground, clearly knocked out.

"I'd like to see you try." He adds, holding both his hands up. "Go ahead."

"Kira-san!" Atsushi calls before he runs up to us. Somehow or the other, Atsushi is picked up by Rashomon and tossed to the same sorry state that Dazai was at.

"Kira, where were we?"

My hands are trembling as I hold the pocket knife with both hands.

Of course, my ability was nothing when I compare it with Akutagawa's ability. And I didn't really get much from Akiko's lessons in the last two days.

But he was going around ruining everything that mattered to me. He was getting rid of the Agency, and I couldn't let him do that.

I would not let him do that.

I raise the knife and with all my might, I plunge it inside.

I plunge it into the cloth of his trench coat, making sure even his shirt and trousers got torn as I do so.

"HUUUH?!" Akutagawa cries out, and he falls backwards.

"Use Rashomon now, you bastard." I hiss, stepping on his stomach with my pointy heel.

Of course, Akutagawa's ability Rashomon was amazing.

But it was also fixed such that he'd only be able to use it if he has a garment which it can morph into.

And now? He didn't.

"I... I hate you." He hisses again, and I turn around to face Kyouka. She gives me a nod, and calls out for Kenji.

"You know. You're disgusting. This is what differentiates between you and Dazai. You don't value a person's life, but Dazai? He would. We, in the Armed Detective Agency, would never take the life of someone. Even someone who is filthy and deserves to die, more than anyone else. Like you." I say, dropping the knife beside him.

Within seconds, Kenji comes up to us, and I leave it to him to beat the crap out of Akutagawa.

"Dazai, are you okay?" I ask, as I run up to him. His mouth is bleeding profusely, and he is in between the state of consciousness and unconsciousness.

"S-So cool." He smiles a little at me, and closes his eyes when blood begins to drip towards his eye.

I tear off the ribbon that was tied around my dress and use it to stop the bleeding. Kyouka, seeing this, comes to assist Atsushi, tearing a piece of her yukata to wipe away the blood coming from Atsushi's forehead.

"Medic here!" Tanizaki's voice yells, and Kunikida, Akiko, Dazai, and Atsushi are carried away to the hospital.

"Weak people like you, should die." I pat the unconscious Akutagawa's hair, before I run off to get inside the ambulance Dazai was in.

For once in my life, I felt like I belonged.

It was as if I had done something useful for the first time, in the 19 years of my life.

---

a/n: oh shizz i suck at writing actions scenes i kri now ;-;

super excited for episode 10 omf D;