「02/31」

2. "If there's a version of me that exists in your heart..."

---

"Kira-chan, why don't you tell us why you wanted to kill yourself?"

Atsushi stops eating and nudges Dazai's elbow.

"Whaaaat?" Dazai asks in a playful manner, and Atsushi groans in reply. There aren't any people in the café', even though it was 8 pm. I glance at the counter, and there's no one there either.

Where did the waiters and everyone go?

"Are you serious, Kira-san?"

"Yeah. Well the thing is, I'm actually adopted and I really hate the place I live in. The people who adopted me, they're... They're inhuman."

Dazai takes a sip from his coffee, and Atsushi keeps on staring. I take this as a signal to continue.

"They asked me to move out. So after graduation I did that. But I didn't get a job even though I applied literally everywhere. I have no future and I don't have the will, or any reason to go on for any longer."

At this point, Dazai excuses himself and goes outside to make a phone call.

"I can relate to that, Kira-san. I was kicked out from an orphanage at 18. Dazai-san helped me land a job at doing something I actually really love, and I am really grateful for him. Even though I'd never admit that to him." He chuckles.

"I think he can see that from his own eyes." I let him know, and he nervously smiles, running a hand through his hair.

"Well, I don't know about that. But he's my savior. And Kunikida-kun, Ranpo-san, and the others in the Agency are really helpful. I felt like I'd die from starvation. It was kind of a coincidence that we met."

"If only I could meet a savior." I laugh, but Atsushi keeps a straight face. Awkwardly, I take another bite of the tea on rice.

Atsushi keeps on staring, and there is silence until Dazai opens the café door and walks up to us.

"Atsushi-kun. We need to leave immediately. He's coming."

"Huh? He? And what about-"

Atsushi is interrupted when there is a loud crash, and the dust that forms blows away our vision.

"Atsushi-kun! Kira-chan!" Dazai's voice calls out.

The dust makes me cough, and I raise a hand up.

"Doshaburi no ame!"

"What was that?!" A deep voice says, and begins to cough.

When the dust clears out from the downpour rain I brought, I find that Atsushi's feet is stuck under one of the pillars, and Dazai runs to help him. I also see that the person who spoke is standing at the entrance of where he blew up the café.

This man has a slim build, and very pale skin. His black hair is short and choppy, and turn white at the ends. He is wearing a black trench coat along with a white dress shirt and cravat. He has a sickly appearance and walks up towards me, covering his mouth and coughing.

He looks around my age, what kind of a power did he have to break in that way?

"What on earth did you just do?" He asks, standing a couple feet away from me. I take a quick glance at Dazai, and see that he has rescued Atsushi. Both of them were staring at me wide eyed now.

"Dazai-san, one wrong move, I'm taking her."

"Akutagawa, what do you want?" Dazai's expression is serious for the first time, and Atsushi is too busy trembling to do anything.

"Er, I don't mind." I butt in.  "Go ahead and take me. Just leave them alone."

"Idiot!"

"K-K-Kira-san, what are you saying?!"

"Very well. I'll cut this meeting short. Come, Rashomon, Murakumo!"

Immediately, a shadow-like claw erupts from his back, and grabs hold of me. It begins to sting, and I start to wail in pain.

"Kira-chan!"

"There's no way!" Atsushi cries out, and within seconds, he turns into a... weretiger?

How on Earth?

The werewolf makes a leap towards Akutagawa, making him lose control of his Rashomon. I fall down with a thud, and find that Atsushi's weretiger was being held down by Akutagawa's Rashomon. The weretiger tries to break free, but Rashomon holds it entirely, leaving no place for the werewolf to break through.

How is anyone able to attack him with that superior ability?

Dazai rushes up to me "Leave the rest to us!" Dazai gives a soft smile and runs up to the two who are busy fighting. He gets in between the two, and as soon as he touches them, a bright flash comes out.

"Ningen Shikkaku!"

The moment that Dazai touched the two, Akutagawa's Rashomon disappears, and Atsushi turns back to his human self again.

With a single touch, Dazai nulled out both Atsushi and Akutagawa's abilities.

What a useful power!

"Off you go, before worse comes to worse." Dazai says to Akutagawa, and he glares at Dazai in reply.

"I'll come back later for you." He eyes me, and walks off.

Huh? Akutagawa has tremendous power, but he's not going to fight back?

That's odd...

"Here. Are you okay?" Dazai holds a hand out.

He's holding his hand out again. How many times has he done that in the past few hours?

And why does it make me feel... safe?

His forearms are bandaged, and so is his neck. I wonder why, and stand up.

"Yeah."

"Heh? What happened?" Atsushi stands up, and looks around. When he sees that Akutagawa is no longer around, he rushes up to us.

"No wonder Akutagawa wanted to take you away! You have such a cool ability!" He pipes in, pushing Dazai away.

"Oh yes! Downpour rain, was it?"

"Yeah. I have the ability to pour rain to any area I want, and it's fierce enough to clear anything out in a matter of seconds."

"So COOL! I can barely control my ability. And damn, we have to go change now!" Atsushi laughs, pointing to clothes that were soaked from my ability.

"Kira-chan, I think we have the perfect job for you." Dazai says, stroking Atsushi's hair.

"Heh?"

"Um..."

"Will you join us in the Armed Detective Agency?"

---

Note:

Doshaburi no Ame: 'Downpour Rain.' This is Kira's ability.

Rashomon/Rashomon Murakumo: This is Akutagawa's ability.

Ningen Shikkaku: 'No Longer Human.' This is Dazai's ability.All the abilities will be written in Italic. Thanks for the support! Please give a vote if you enjoyed!