「14/31」

14. "Even if the future awaiting me is so bright that it's blinding..."

---

"Kira Chiyo."

"Yes, President."

My gaze is fixed on Dazai, who has his head buried on the table with his hands.

"Is it true, that you went to meet Akutagawa Ryunosuke?" He asks, and when I nod, he stands up. He walks up to me, and I see that everyone is staring right at me.

"Ranpo said you were meeting Akutagawa at a park. Is this true, too?"

"Yes, President." I say again. I can hear Ranpo whisper 'I'm never wrong, of course!' to Akiko, until she gives him a slap on the back.

I face the President, and he has his arms crossed and is glaring at me.

I can't say I blame him.

"You do know the penalty of going somewhere to meet a Port Mafia Member without informing at least one of the members, do you?"

No, I don't.

I don't say this out loud though. Because I can make a lucky guess.

Instead, I stay mum, and Kunikida stands up. He is about to say something, but the President raises a hand. Kunikida sits back down.

"Oi, Dazai." I can hear him whisper to Dazai.

But Dazai does not raise his head.

There really isn't anything he can do, anyway.

"Kira."

"Y-Yes President. I know."

"President, I'm sure Kira had a reason, so if we just hear her out..." Atsushi's voice trails off, and Kyouka nods in agreement.

"Dazai. I had you in charge of her, didn't I?" Atsushi is ignored completely. "What do you have to say about this?" The President asks. Dazai lifts his head from the table and eyes me.

I am so done for. Not even Dazai can save me this time.

"President. I'm sorry. I asked her to go."

"EHHHHHH?"

All pairs of eyes are now set on Dazai, instead of me, and he stands up from his seat.

"Dazai..."

"Oi, Dazai, are you serious?" Kunikida glares at me, then at the brown-head.

"I'm very sorry. But Akutagawa wants to take her to Port Mafia. But he doesn't want to kill her. I sent her, taking advantage of that."

"Being responsible for her does not mean you can go against the rules, Dazai." The President eyes me, then goes back to sit in his seat. "I thought you understood the rules better than that." He adds.

From the way Kunikida and the President are glaring at me, I can tell they don't believe him.

But it's probably the overwhelming trust in Dazai, which makes the President dismiss the meeting.

"I knew it had to be some mistake. Kira-chan wouldn't go against the rules." I can hear Kenji say to Naomi.

No no no Kenji, it's a lie!

Why would Dazai lie about that?

Dazai takes my hand, and begins to take me downstairs when Ranpo places a hand on his shoulder.