「06/31」

6. "So that we can keep moving forward, exploring the meaning of life together."

---

"Kyouka-chan, be careful!" Atsushi whines for like the hundredth time. He grips her hand tighter, when she starts to cross the road without looking around.

"Kyouka, you need to be careful or you might get hurt. Then Atsushi-kun will be very sad and he'll cry." I say, and Kyouka and I look at Atsushi simultaneously. The poor boy is blushing furiously.

"I-I wouldn't go that f-far!"

"You won't be sad if I die?" The indigo-haired girl asks, and Atsushi's blush disappears.

"I will be. So be careful." He says, and I look up to the sky.

And it's my duty to keep them safe.
Realization hits me, and I adjust the pair of headsets I've been given by Kunikida.

"You can get my instructions, right Kyouka-chan?" I ask, and she gives me a thumbs up.

Alright.

We follow the instructions to the map and walk to a suburb. The entire surrounding was so quiet that the only noise
​​​​​​that could be heard was the tapping of my heels and the clonking of Kyouka's shoes.

"According to Dazai's map, the people should be inside that garage. So, here's the plan." I motion them to come closer, and they listen to what I say.

"That's a great idea!"

Kyouka gives me a nod of approval, and Atsushi stays back outside. Kyouka and I make our way to the garage entrance.

"Did you put him as the guard because he is the only guy?" She asks, and I shake my head.

"Not just that. He can use his man-tiger abilities to keep Akutagawa away till we evacuate the place. At least, for a while." I say. I kick the garage door as hard as I can, and a middle aged man opens the garage door.

"What do you want, kids?" He asks, raising an eyebrow.

"I'm from the Armed Detective Agency." I say, showing the badge of the Agency that Dazai had loaned me earlier.

"I know about your illegal export of organs, so turning yourself in is your best option." I say as calmly as possible, and I notice there are at least 20 people handling metal boxes behind the man.

"Huuuuuh? Guys, listen here, this kid is threatening us!" The man laughs, and I can sense Kyouka's glare hardening.

"Look, turning yourself in will let you live. The Port Mafia is on their way, and they're coming to cause a massacre here."

A couple people at the back drop their boxes at the mention of the Port Mafia, and I can see that all eyes are on me.

"Like we'd believe you."

"Captain, I don't want to die!" One of the people yells, and the man at the door faces the person.

"If you don't shut up, I'm going to shoot you before I shoot these two girls." He says, reaching for his pocket.

A gun?!

"Kyouka, snatch it away!" I instruct, and simultaneously use my ability. A loud shot can be heard, and I wait for the
​​​​​​rain to clear out before I see if Kyouka is safe.

And she is.

Her Demon Snow is holding the man upside down in midair, and the gun fire had hit the door.

Damn, that ability is amazing!

"K-Kira-san, they're coming!" Atsushi yells in a weak voice from outside.

They?

And what's with his voice? Did Akutagawa already attack him or..?

"They're here. So please evacuate. For now, just go into hiding, because they will kill you. Brutally."

There is horror in everyone's face, and they drop the metal boxes and run out for their lives.

"Atsushi-kun, come on!" Kyouka yells, and we run out to the back door.

I can't let these people stay alone with Kyouka, who knows what they'd do to her? And she can't even use her ability if it isn't for the instructions! And what if some of these people run away? The entire point of justice will die off!

"Atsushi-kun, get here!" I yell, but there's no sign of him.

Wait a minute, is he-

A loud bang is heard, and the first thing we see is the metal door of garage break into tiny pieces.

And a large tiger goes sailing and hits the ground.

"ATSUSHI!"

Atsushi reverts back to his human self, and we see that the left side of his chest is bleeding.

That man's shot pierced through the door and hit Atsushi!?

The people behind me are too scared to move, and Kyouka runs up to Atsushi. From the opening of the door, Akutagawa appears, and stifles a little cough. He then notices me standing in front of the people, and a small grin creeps on his face.

"Wah, looks like this is the type of mission where can achieve the target of the mission itself, plus a future mission." He says. Behind him appears a woman with yellow-blond hair, wearing office clothes.

"Higuchi. By when is this mission due?"

"Forty-five minutes, Senpai." She replies, and Akutagawa brushes dirt off of his trench coat.

"The weak should just die and let the strong live." He says, and points at me. "You don't have to get yourself killed for their so called 'justice'." He says.

I look back to the many, many people who did illegal activities but didn't deserve to die.

"They're not weak. Why do you have to assume that everyone besides you is weak?"

"I really do intend to take you to the port alive so I'm giving you multiple chances."

He walks closer, and the people behind me take a couple steps back.

Crap. This is bad. This is really bad. I should have done some combat practices with Akiko-san before I came here.

My feet are trembling so hard that I can barely stand it, and the fact that he is standing under two feet away from me is no help.

Maybe I'll use my ability and get Kyouka to get rid of his coat. That's what gives him the power, according to Kunikida-kun...

Here goes...

"Too late!" He says, using his hand to squeeze my mouth.

"I could tell that you can't use your stinky ability without yelling it out loud." With his other hand, he grips my neck so hard that I can barely breathe. "Try using it, I'll have Rashomon kill that little good for nothing girl you're carrying around."

I freeze on my spot.

"I won't let you get away with this."

"Dying for justice? That's way too cliché." He rasps.

Dammit, he's so attractive, why can't he be a good person?

"Stay back. Leave us alone, this is something the Agency will deal with."

"I don't have time for your childish ploys. Come, Rashomon!"

'So if anything happens to them, I'll be very, very disappointed.'

"Dazai, we need you!" I yell as loud as I can, right before Rashomon pierces right through me.

---