「17/31」

17. "I'm still right here... Can you hear me?"

---

​​​​​​​(Kira's POV)

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

The receiver continues its' beeping. Dazai had hung up the phone.

Just what was that all about?

Did I hear him clearly?

Of course I did! Whenever Dazai speaks, I always pay attention, no matter what it is he's saying. Even when he is whining or simply humming a song.

But...

Dazai...

I sit down on the floor in the middle of the pavement, and dial the number again.

"The number you have dialed is currently switched off, or is out of range. Please try again later."

I dial the number three more times. When I get no reply, I stand up with a jolt.

It means he's alive.

He's alive.

I can still save him.

We can save him.

Clutching the map I have in hand, I run inside the nearest building.

There is another call to my phone, and with trembling fingers, I take my phone out.

I feel disappointment when I see the ID as Akiko.

"Hello?"

"Kira-san! Can you turn on your GPS? I heard what happened with Ranpo, and I'm coming to search with you!"

"Understood."

I meet Akiko after ten minutes, and we continue scanning building by building.

The day comes to an end, and it's 7.30 when Kunikida calls Akiko and asks her to finish the search for tonight.

"But... we can't! We didn't find Dazai yet!"

"I know how you feel, but if we don't rest up now, we can't search for him tomorrow either." She says, patting my back.

She has a point. I am unable to take my eyes off from the ground, and I can feel Akiko's stare on me.

"Are you hiding something, Kira-san? Because I need to know everything I can, about this. You want to find Dazai, don't you?"

"I do."

"So?"

I hesitate for a minute before I face her. "I got a call on my phone. And... It was Dazai."

"Huh? What did he say?" When I stay quiet, she grabs my shoulders.

"What. Did. He. Say?"

"He said my name three times and then told me he loves me." I cry, and Akiko lets go of my shoulders.

"Oh..."

There is silence and we continue walking.

"Say... You like him too, don't you?"

"I don't know." I answer, and she lets out a huge sigh.

"Did he say anything else?"

"No." I reply honestly, and she nods.

"I'll have to tell Kunikida about what happened." When my eyes go wide, she waves her hand in the air. "I'll skip out the fluffy bit, don't give me that expression." She laughs.

I am feeling a bit relieved and we walk back to the Agency.

We walk back to the Agency, and she informs Kunikida about the phone call. He takes note of the number and asks me to make sure I receive any call that comes to my phone.

"I'll inform Taguchi. He'll be able to find out something, hopefully."

"Taguchi?"

"Rokuzou Taguchi. He's an information broker." Atsushi lets me know later on.

Ranpo is back in the Agency thanks to Tanizaki, but he is still not conscious. Akiko takes responsibility of Ranpo for the night, and we huddle around the raven-head that we all respected.

"I'm actually wishing he'd brag about that so-called ability of his, right about now." Akiko whispers to me.

"Well. When he does that next, make sure you return this to him." I pick out Ranpo's hat I had in my shoulder bag, and hand it to her.

"You're an idiot, Kira-san." She has tears in the corner of her eyes, but she accepts it with a heartbreaking smile.

As we have our own meeting, the President walks up to us. Tanizaki informs him about the events of today.

The entire time that he stays with Ranpo, I can feel his glare on me.

God, the pressure is incredible.

"Kira. How was your search?" He asks, and I stand up to address him properly.

"I've looked around in all the buildings in the South-West. I'm afraid I found nothing."

There is worry displayed on Yukichi Fukuzawa, the President's face.

"President. I will bring Dazai back. You have my word." I say, and walk back to my room. As I walk off, I can hear Kenji whisper to Naomi about how cool I am.

You're wrong, Kenji. I am the opposite of cool.

This... This is like getting slapped really hard in the face... And coming back to reality.

It is to be expected, but the reality is so terrifying.

But I'm bringing Dazai back.

Even if it's the last thing I do.

It's the least I can do for someone who saved me, after all.

When I walk inside the room I was sharing with Dazai, I begin to feel claustrophobic. Dazai's trench coat is hanging where he usually leaves it, and I run a hand against the material.

Oh god. This smells just like Dazai.

Where are you when I need you the most, Dazai?

I lie on the bed, covering my face with Dazai's trenchcoat. No matter how pathetic it sounds, it actually made me feel a little relieved.

He's alive.

And he told me he loves me.

"You like him too, don't you?"

I recall what Akiko had told me earlier. I am unsure about my own feelings. Heck, I'm unsure if Dazai is sure about his own feelings.

Maybe he said that on an impulse?

Oh God, life has been reckless ever since I came to the Armed Detective Agency.

But... I don't hate it.

In fact, I love it. So much that I can't let it end this easily.

I place the trench coat back on the hanger, and step outside.

This is so reckless. I think to myself, as I walk upstairs again. But I really can't just sit idly here while I know Dazai is somewhere, probably unsafe.

He's saved me multiple times. I should be strong to fight for him too.

I open the door to the infirmary, and Akiko is sitting in a chair beside the bed Ranpo is resting on. She lifts her head from the bed, and faces me.

"Akiko-san."

"You got another call from him?" She asks, standing up.

"No... But I need your help, Akiko-san. Dazai told me that only you can help me with this."

"With what?"

"Combat."

"Huh?" She raises an eyebrow and glances at Ranpo. She then faces me again.

"If it's Akutagawa who kidnapped Dazai," Akiko narrows her eyes as I speak. "Then I want to be able to fight with him, heads on."

---

a/n: oyaaa tysm for the support! check out my other fics like my Free! and Haikyuu books too ayy ily guys ♥