「26/31」

26. 'For that one and only light.'

---

I toss and turn on the futon, frantically trying my hardest to fall asleep.

Now that I have come to get used to him around, it's just not the same, when Dazai isn't sleeping here with me.

To keep myself from going insane, I decide to go to the vending machine to get myself some soda. After all, I had received multiple bonuses from the President, thanks to two successful missions.

When I walk to the hallway, I see Akiko leaning against the vending machine.

"Akiko-san?" I call out, and she looks at me, a startled look plastered on her face.

"Ah, Kira, wanna drink?" She asks in a sloppy voice, and I nod, putting a dollar bill into the machine and punching for a Coke can.

"What are you doing out here so late, Akiko-san?"

"Shh, keep your voice down, you idiot." She hisses, before she wraps an arm around my shoulder. It is then that I can smell liquor from her breath.

"Oh shit." I hiss, frantically looking around for any signs of people. The only people nearby would be Atsushi, Kyouka, the siblings and Kenji, and they were all younger than me. I doubt they'd do anything but panic.

And since Dazai and Kunikida are still out with the Mafia, there was only one hope. I didn't really know what to do in this situation, so I drag the drunk Akiko towards Ranpo's room.

"Naw, I don't wanna!" She whines, when she realizes what I was doing. She grabs hold of the knob of the room beside his and I almost trip to the ground.

"Akiko-san, pleeeeeeease." I knock hastily on the door, and Ranpo takes a minute to open up.

"Oh Kira, that's one big present you've got there for me." Ranpo grins, and I roll my eyes.

"She's drunk. Do something that someone your age would do."

Ranpo opens his eyes and holds his arms out, while Akiko shifts her weight on him.

"I don't like Edogawa. I hate Edogawa. Edogawa is a loser. I wouldn't marry Edogawa. Edogawa is jerk." Akiko's chants went on, and I help him lay Akiko on his bed. Her chants got quieter by the second, and Ranpo glances at me.

"This is a first."

"She just said she wouldn't marry you. How does that make you feel?" I ask, and he puts a hand on his chin, pretending to think like a little kid.

"I know she means the total opposite of all that. Akiko loves me. After all, I am the best."

"Yes, yes you are, Ranpo-san. So? What are you gonna do?" I ask, watching Ranpo put a blanket over her petite figure. Even while she was in her drunk state, Akiko still was the prettiest female I had ever come across. Seriously, how do some people even do that?

"Are you kidding me, are you seriously asking me that?" He wants to know, and I flush red.

"Er, sorry, I'll just lea-"

"It's none of your business, Kira. What I do to her is none of your business."

And with that, Ranpo pushes me out the door, and gives me a smirk before he slams the door to my face.

Holy shit.

Deciding not to butt in to whatever Ranpo was planning, I go back to Dazai's room, and take my coat before I step outside for a walk. I can't even remember where I had placed my can of Coke – maybe in Ranpo's room? – so I simply walk outside. As soon as I do, I bump into a girl with rich maroon hair to the length of her waist.

"Woah, I'm sorry." I apologize profusely, wanting to slap myself for being a klutz. The girl shakes her head, and her eyes go wide before she digs into her pocket and takes out a phone.

"Um. You're from the Armed Detective Agency, right?" She asks, and I nod in reply.

"I'm Nakahara Akiya, and well. Have you uh. Seen him?" She asks, holding her phone up. The phone is showing a picture of Akutagawa, and I glance at the girl.

"Er, I saw him earlier today. Why?"

"Uh." The girl frantically looks from left to right before she looks back at me. I see that she is roughly the same height as me, and her pale blue eyes flashes in the dark of the night.

"You know what, never mind."

With that, she runs off, and disappears into the night before I can even move a muscle.

Why was she looking for Akutagawa? Was she a relative of his?

But Atsushi had let me know that he was from an orphanage, so that's unlikely.

And then, something clicks in my head.

Nakahara Akiya?

Could that mean she has something to do with Chuuya?

Suddenly, I don't feel like going out to a walk anymore. In fact, I get back inside, hurrying to inform Dazai-

Oh. Dazai isn't around. So isn't Kunikida.

Crap.

And Ranpo and Akiko are out of the question, and the others would probably be asleep by now...

I debate in my head about going out for a search myself, but decide otherwise. I couldn't take a repentance of what happened within the Agency when I went to meet Akutagawa, and I groan. Picking up my cellphone, I dial Atsushi's number. He picks up in the fourth ring.

Atsushi, it turns out, was just about to sleep, and when I called, he came running downstairs.

"I met Akiya-san once, and her ability would just... Anyway, what did she say?"

"She seemed like she was looking for Akutagawa."

"You know, I think it would be better if we sleep now. I just had to tell someone, or I wouldn't be sane."

"I think you're right, Kira-san. Goodnight."

The 18 year old boy goes back upstairs, and I feel disappointed to have disturbed him in the middle of the night. I grab a can of coffee from the vending machine before I head back to Dazai's room to sleep.

I'll just tell Dazai what happened, tomorrow when he comes back.

If he comes back, tomorrow.

---

A/N: I'm sorry for this filler chapter, I'll try to make the next one better omf. Also, check out my new Oikawa fanfiction if you have the time, thank you so much for the support! ♥