「24/31」

24. "I'd like to always stay, close to your heart."

---

At the sight of the fire, all five of us duck, and Akiko turns to me with an irritated look on her face.

Oh yes, you have an ability that could be of use know, what the hell Kira.

I raise a hand, and point towards the fire, while Akiko leads Ranpo, Kenji, and Naomi behind me.

"Doshaburi no Ame!"

It takes a couple minutes for the fire to die down, and we begin to run from the other side.

"Not so fast." A deep voice rasps, and two black extensions grab hold of Akiko and Naomi and lift them off the ground.

Oh no.

No.

Any
time but now.

Akutagawa stands behind us, holding Akiko and Naomi down tight so they aren't able to move. Ranpo's eyes are wide and Kenji looks around for something he can pick up to use. No luck, we're stuck in the middle of a dark hallway, after all.

"Chuuya-san, now!" Akutagawa yells. With a swift motion, three men dressed in black grabs hold of me, and Chuuya is behind them. One of the people covers my mouth and I am unable to use my ability.

"Let them go!" Kenji cries, and Ranpo stares from me, to Akiko, then back again, shock filled in his eyes. It was obvious that this was new to him, that poor lad, he didn't really have anything he could do. After all, all Ranpo ever did had been solving murder cases, not deal with the Port Mafia.

Chuuya blows a low whistle, and three other men dressed in suits run up to Ranpo and Kenji, grabbing them as well. Two of them hold Kenji hard, and it looks like they had done their homework about Kenji's ability.

"Well, the Guild is attacking us at the moment, and we can't deal with you lot now. Men, Akutagawa, you know what do you, right?" Chuuya says, and the five men nod in unison. They then drag all three of us away, while Akutagawa follows, Rashomon still wrapped around Naomi and Akiko.

"Let me go, you little shit!" Akiko yells, to which Akutagawa clenches her waist harder. She lets out a low cry at the pain, and he tosses both her and Naomi into a dimly lit room. The men push Ranpo, Kenji and me inside, and we fall to the ground. As we take a moment to sit back up, Akutagawa stands in front of the door, and I see that his eyes are set on me.

For once on his expressionless face, I can see something that I can only call helplessness.

"I'm really sorry to do this to you, Kira." He whispers, before he tosses something into the room. He then closes the door shut, locking the door afterwards.

What is his problem? Why would he treat me nice one second, and then-

My internal rant is stopped when I begin to smell something faint, and Akiko's eyes go wide.

"Everyone, use your clothes, or just anything, and cover your mouths and noses!" She yells, instructing us to move as far away from the small micro-bottle Akutagawa had dropped.

"What is that, Dr. Yosano?" Naomi wants to know, while Akiko frantically searches for any exit.

"Chloroform. Or simply put, it'll knock you to sleep. We can't afford that, in this situation." Her voice is muffled, and our eyes widen.

"Kenji, we have to get out of here, can't you do something?" I ask, taking my cellphone out to lighten up the room.

"Kenji?"

"Kenji!"

The 14 year old is lying on the ground, and Akiko pats his face. He makes no motion, and we hear Akiko sigh in defeat.

"He's out."

"And he was our only hope!" Naomi whines. She then tugs Ranpo's poncho and drags him towards the door. She stands in front of it, takes out her neckerchief, and ties it around her nose.

"Let's knock this door down, Ranpo-san. I don't have an ability but I can at least do this." She says, and begins to kick the door with all her might. I begin to feel groggy from the smell, and I have to sit down before I fall.

"Kira, are you okay?" Akiko runs up to me, putting an arm on my shoulder. Ranpo, who sees this, tosses his hat towards us. He then covers the bottom of his face with his poncho and kicks the door with his leg. Akiko uses Ranpo's hat to cover my nose, and my eyes begin to feel teary.

Man, I'm so weak, what kind of a person am I to join an Agency like this?

But I don't ever want to leave this place though. Never ever.

After continuous banging on the door, Ranpo and Naomi give up, and lean against the door. They could barely keep up, and their breathing had become louder and more frequent. You could easily tell that Akiko was the only one not affected by the gas, and she probably had her own ability to thank.

"It's no use. We're gonna pass out."

"Yes, yes, yes, people inside this room, kindly move away from the door please." A voice calls from outside, a voice so soft that we can barely hear it. I feel too weak to budge.

"Hey, did you hear that?" Naomi asks in a soft voice. Ranpo gets up on his knees, and drags Naomi further back. The next thing we know, the door is swiftly opened.

Kunikida stands in front of the door, holding his notebook in hand, and a key in the other.

"Hurry hurry, let's get out!" He yells, bursting into the room and hurrying to pick up Kenji.

And behind him follows the love of my life, Dazai Osamu.

I feel my heart skip a beat at his sight, and he hurries up to me.

"Ah, Choloroform huh?" He asks Akiko, scrunching his nose when she nods.

"Can you stand?" He wants to know, and I shake my head in reply. I want to slap myself for how weak I am, but I really had no other choice.

"Understood." He says.

With a rapid motion, he scoops me up in his arms, bridal style.

"Hurry, hurry!" He yells, and Kunikida runs out, Akiko assisting both Ranpo and Naomi outside.

And once again, Dazai has saved me.

Just when would I be able to repay him back?
I wonder, looking up to the way his brown hair wavered in the motion. Dazai is focused on his running, and when he stops, I turn to look to where he is watching.

"Crap." We both say in unison, seeing the orange-head standing in front of us.

---  

a/n: 
ayy I love Chuuya so much omg. ;-;