「27/31」

27. 'As I look up to the stars, though we're far apart...'

---

Leaving aside the fact that I was sleep deprived thanks to Dazai's absence, a new text from him makes me confirm that I would not be able to sleep a single wink tonight.

>

'Meet me at the location I have circled below in the Google Map, at 5.30 AM!'

>

Followed by a screenshot of the location.

5.30 AM! Why would he need me up so early?

I wasn't able to sleep a bit, and by 4.50 AM, I give up and go to the washroom to wash my face. I make sure to brush my teeth before I put on my best dress; an off the shoulder light blue dress that matched my navy blue and black checkered skirt. Once again, a dress Dazai had picked out especially for me. After I put on my shoes, I step outside, only to see Akiko sitting beside Ranpo's room door.

"Akiko-san?!"

"You. YOOOU!" She hisses, grabbing a chunk of my skirt.

"So it was you who put me in Ranpo's 'care', huh?"

I was afraid to even ask what he did to her.

"Gosh, that is so embarrassing! I'm sure he'd have thought I was a total loser! I don't remember half the things I said..."

"Well..." I pause, mentally sending my kudos to Ranpo. I really would trust him again to take care of Akiko the next time she was drunk.

"You said you wouldn't marry Ranpo-san."

"ARRRRRGH, KILL ME." She whines. I can't help but to laugh, and I help her slug herself to her room.

"Date with Dazai?" She asks, taking note of my get up. I take a peek at my reflection in the mirror and pat my fringe before facing her.

"I wish I knew. Later, Akiko-san." I wave, before I dash out.

It is 5.10 AM by the time I step out of the building, and I begin my horrible attempt to find the location. Frankly speaking, GPS was not my cup of tea.

When I check the time at the arrival of the location –FINALLY - it is 5.35 AM. God, I'm late.

I catch my breath and look up to the building. The building is ten stories high- could this be the building Dazai took a picture from?

Horror welcomes my mind when I see Dazai waving from the terrace.

"Kira-chaaaaaaaan! Over here!" He yells out loud.

Now what could that suicidal maniac be up to? I wonder, on my way upstairs.

Dazai waves when I reach the top, and I walk up to him, panting.

"You're here!" He says, taking hold of my hand.

"Sorry I'm late!" I panic. He shakes his head and looks up to the sky.

"Nah, it hasn't started yet!"

"Eh? Dazai? You're not... You're not gonna ask me to commit a double suicide with you, right?" I ask, and he turns to face me with a bright smile.

"Kira-chan, do you like the sunrise?"

"Eh? Er yeah. But answer me, Dazai."

Dazai lets out a soft laugh, not turning away from looking up to the sky. He does not have any cuts or scars on his body, and his trench coat is as clean as it had been when I last saw him. I felt that it was safe to say that his mission was a success.

The 22 year-old turns to look at me, and I see that his eyes look just as exhausted as I was feeling then.

"I'm happy to know that you'd say yes, if I ever asked."

It takes me a minute to answer him, because I am too busy feeling warm and gushy inside. How Dazai would know me so well was only a mystery to me.

"Were you going to ask me that, though? Is that why you asked me here?"

Dazai shakes his head. "More importantly, good morning, Kira-chan."

"Er." I swear, I wouldn't even try to understand this man.