「15/31」

15. "If I'm to face it alone, there's no real meaning in it..."

---

​​​​​​​"Dazai got kidnapped?!" Atsushi cries, as he runs up to us.

"Okay, I'm going to call for a quick meeting with the President. Ranpo, make sure you're there too okay?"

"Alright." We say in unison, and immediately pile out of the cafeteria.

"I'll go inform Akiko." Ranpo says, and he goes upstairs.

"Why did Dazai-san leave the building? Did he go to buy something?" Kyouka asks, as we walk up to the meeting room.

It's all my fault. If I hadn't met up with Akutagawa, Dazai wouldn't have been so mad at me, and left the building.

My head is overtaken by guilt as we all take seats in the meeting room. The President comes inside, and takes a seat.

"Alright. One of our Agency members is claimed to have been kidnapped. So I want you all to stop all of your work for now and find him by sunset this evening. Is that understood?"

"Yes, President." We all say, and the President scans the room.

"Where's Ranpo?" He asks.

"He went to get Akiko-san."

"But I'm right here." A female voice says from behind Kenji.

"Huh? I thought Ranpo-san went to- Guys! Hurry and look around for Ranpo!" Kunikida yells.

"W-What's going on?!" Atsushi wants to know, when Akiko and Kunikida run out of the meeting room.

"We think Ranpo might have gotten kidnapped too." Kenji lets us know.

Ranpo too?!

"Whoever did the kidnapping is really smart, taking Ranpo-san away. They must know that without Ranpo-san, we have no clues to find Dazai-an." Kyouka says.

Half an hour pass by, and we fail in finding Ranpo. In fact, Akiko and Kunikida even run around the neighborhood to see if he was around, but in vain.

There is double the depression on everyone's faces when they come back into the meeting room.

"I see. I think now everyone knows what they have to do, right? Even if you have to search every inch of this city, bring Dazai and Ranpo back." He then faces me.

"Otherwise, I'll have to kick some members out of the Agency." He says, and leaves.

That was for me. That was obviously me. He meant me for sure.

I'm a huge threat to the Agency.

"K-Kira-chan, don't worry, we'll find them. Come on, let's split up and find them!" Kenji reassures to me. Tanizaki and Naomi give me nods in approval, and Kunikida comes up to us.

"We're splitting into two groups, one South, one North. In my group, we'll have Naomi, Kyouka, and Atsushi. Akiko, you lead Tanizaki, Kenji, and Kira. Everyone, do you have your cellphones active?"

"Yes!"

"Let's go!"

---

"I know you blame this on yourself, but really. This was inevitable. It's the Port Mafia we're talking about." Tanizaki says to me later.

It was almost sunset by now, and we were still roaming around every abandoned building in the South-West. Ten buildings, and we had no luck so far. Meanwhile, Kenji and Akiko were looking at the South-East. We reach the end of the city and the loud waves of the sea get my attention.

"Hey, Tanizaki, do you think it's useful to check out near the harbor? I mean, there'll be a lot of beach houses and stuff, right?"

"It wouldn't hurt to check them out." He replies, and we run to towards the harbor. We have no luck even then.

"Do you think they might have taken Ranpo-san and Dazai-san to the sea? They once did that to Atsushi-kun." Tanizaki's voice trails off, and he stares at the sea.

"What?! You think so, Tanizaki?" I look at where he is looking, and I see a brown hat floating on the top of the water.

The hat looked too familiar.

"Hold this" Tanizaki takes of his jacket, and jumps in.

"Tanizaki!" I cry out, and begin to panic.

Medic. Medic. Dial Medic. Save him.

It feels like years before Tanizaki rises up to the surface, carrying Ranpo along with him. By then, people nearby had already gathered around, and two men help Tanizaki and Ranpo up. Ranpo's mouth is tied with a big cloth, and I pull it off.

"He was tied to a weight and dropped to the sea." Tanizaki reports to me, in between taking in deep breaths.

"Why would they go this far?" I cry out. Ranpo was lying on the concrete of the harbor's pavement, and he was unconscious. Minutes later, an ambulance arrives, and Tanizaki hands me a soaked map.

"Use this to help yourself around okay? I'm taking Ranpo-san to the hospital, and I'll inform Akiko-san and the others on the way. Don't give up on Dazai-san. He never gave up on us either." He says, and gets inside the ambulance.

No matter how much I wanted to go and make sure Ranpo was safe, I had no choice. Lord only knows Dazai was not in a state like Ranpo had been.

Who knows how long he might have been like that?

I pray that Ranpo is okay, before I take a glance at the map. I take out a pen and strike out the places I've already gone. I then make my way to the next building. The lights flicker on as the day comes to an end.

Tanizaki is right. Dazai didn't give up on us. He didn't give up on me either.

Even when I went against the rules, he probably knows I had my reasons.

How thankful I was for that idiot. I was dying to thank him for his presence. For existing. For being a part of me.

Come back home, idiot. Let me tell you how much you mean to me.

I am about to enter another building when my cellphone makes a loud ring.

It is from an unknown number.

Do I even have time for this?

I decide to ignore all calls from others beside the ones in the Agency, and get inside the building.

My phone begins to ring again, and because of my irritation, I pick up the call.

"Hello?"

"Kira-chan."

That voice. I'd know his voice anywhere.

"Dazai?!" I cry out. "Dazai, where are you? Dazai, come back, why did you leave me?" I am actually sobbing.

What the hell, Kira, get a grip on yourself.

"Kira-chan." Dazai's voice says again, and I hold the receiver as close to my ears as I can.

"Dazai-san."

"Kira. I love you."

---

a/n: *squeals* ehem, so, story cover is made by my cute lil kouhai, marcchi so kudos to her. ♥

also, next chapter will be written in third person's point of view, where i will be writing about what happens with Daddyzai- I mean. Dazai. Yeah. owwwo