'14

Copyright © 2013 by Dell Anne Eresmas

All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval systems, without written permission from the publisher or author, except in the case of a reviewer, who may quote brief passages embodied in critical articles or in a review.

............................................................

Previously on EFTBP

Casey looked back to where she was holding, the handle, and breathed hard. She gulped down the lump on her throat as she opened it. As soon as she saw it, she looked at her companions and smiled mischievously.

They furrowed their brows and walked towards Casey. They gasped to what they saw, while some said 'Oh God' in unison.

............................................................

Looking back is what Sandra did when she heard Shimmer's penetrating sound.

"Shimmer!"

Her hair danced with her head due to the gravity upon turning her head around, abruptly. Her eyes widened as she saw the corpse that were surrounding Shimmer. She also realized the cause of Shimmer's cry and it was because of the sharp branch that pierced through her right biceps.

'Where the heck is Breck?!' Sandra thought.

She looked around and saw Breck, struggling with a mob of corpses. He was doing all he could, to be set free and save Shimmer. But, he was incapable to do so.

Everyone has their own business, except for her. So she's the only one who could help Shimmer at this situation.

Breck looked at Sandra, pleading. She nodded to him, clearly understands what he meant. She gripped the gun on her hand and began running towards Shimmer.

"Sandra. No!"

Nate shouted, but he couldn't stop her. She has made up her mind. Sandra chose to close her ears and continued on her way.

She raised her gun towards the corpse that was in front of her, nearing Shimmer, and pulled the trigger.

In the middle of the back of its head, the bullet pierced in and scattered the brain, causing its thick, black blood to splash on her way. She closed her eyes to avoid the blood from entering her eyes. After it, the corpse slowly fell on its knees and lay immobile.

Her inner self was energized as she realized what she was capable of doing if fear were to leave her.

A single deep breath was the only thing she needed for a chance to save Shimmer, her friend and family.

- - -

"Sandra's P.O.V"

I saw another corpse that was getting nearer towards Shimmer and increased my running pace.

At 12 o'clock, Shimmer was supporting her weight against the tree, while corpses were heading on her way in an amok manner. She tried raising her one, single gun, but failed. She winced when a pain shot through her biceps. I could see her knees trembling and I couldn't stand watching it. I doubled my acceleration as I ran.

When I was now finally near her, I slid down on the ground and this caused corpses to stumble on their feet. Dirt from the ground went towards my peach, long skirt, as I slid and hit the feet of the other corpses. When the corpses met with the ground, I abruptly stood up and fired on their foreheads.

Another corpse ran towards me, but I was fast in giving the first one a side kick. My foot landed on its knees and it bended in unnatural way, while I shot it on its forehead. Beside it, was another one. So I threw my gun towards its kneck and I Lunged on it and used my elbows in cracking its head. I landed on the floor with it and I didn't waste any time, I took my gun once again and cease-fired.

'3 more corpses to go'

Was the only thing that was running inside my head. I took a deep breath and gathered myself for the final round.

The corpses snarled towards me, while its teeth gnashed wildly. I started running and held onto myself for the incoming bloodshed that was soon to come.

The middle corpse advanced in running towards me, while the other two were behind it. I halted for a moment, looking for a best way to defeat the three in an easiest way. Then I come up with an idea.

The middle corpse attacked me, while its two arms were ready to grip onto my tiny body. But of course, I wouldn't allow it from doing so.

I pointed my gun on its mouth and pushed it in. My other hand was holding unto its neck. I pushed it backwards, making sure that the back of its head met with the other corpse's head and fired. Two birds in one stone. While firing, I did a turning kick and hit the neck of the last corpse. It snapped almost immediately and together, the three corpses fell on the ground.

Oxygen went up towards my head and I felt dizzy. The gun fell from my grip as it loosened. My dizziness was taking over my body and I started to feel nausea. My surroundings were starting to blur, while noises slowly dissipated.

"Sandra!"

"Sandra!"

I groaned in annoyance as the voice continued calling my name. My knees gave up and it fell to the ground, kneeling. I tried opening my eyes, even though it was very heavy. In front of me happened in a blur.

A corpse was behind me, but I didn't notice it, not until Shimmer pushed me away, like really hard, and used herself just to defend me from the corpse's attack. I was on the ground, laying, and watched in horror as the corpse's teeth dug deep on Shimmers neck. She looked at me and smiled in gratitude for saving her life. She mouthed something, but in my state, I couldn't tell what it was.

Shimmer's knees slowly fell on the ground, while the corpse was still devouring her every being. I tried to lift my body, but failed to do so. I was like paralyzed.

A tear escaped Shimmer's eyes before it began to close.

I inner shouted, while my tears also slid down my face. My heart was as if gripped when I witness everything. How could this happen? Why now? We were already friends. I still need to tell her so many things about me, but....

She was leaving!

Breck arrived and snapped the head of the corpse. But when he saw Shimmer's state, he was losing himself. He grabbed the gun beside me and dragged the corpse on the other way. He repeatedly and harshly pulled the trigger. The corpse face was beyond massacred and cannot be written.

Shimmer on the other hand, was lying on the ground. Her eyes were half-opened when she reached for my hand. I took her hand and we exchanged grips. She lastly looked deep through my eyes and I could see her smiling at me proudly. Images rushed inside my head, images of our past encounter. I remembered our silly fights and stupid arguments. But, now? She's leaving it all behind. It hurts so much and I couldn't take it anymore.

Another pain shot through my body and I held onto my breath, like really hard. The pain eased, but in return, my eyes blurred, slowly blackening. As darkness engulfed me, the only image that stayed on my head was Shimmer's last sweet, innocent smile.

............................................................

TO BE CONTINUED..

............................................................