Chapter 5 The Dumb-headed Woman

Copyright © 2013 by Dell Anne Eresmas

All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval systems, without written permission from the publisher or author, except in the case of a reviewer, who may quote brief passages embodied in critical articles or in a review.

............................................................

Previously on EFTBP

Casey

I was sitting outside the garden playing with my puppy, Russ. It was already dark but I can't leave the warm weather, can I? I leaned against my chair and stroked Russ' soft fur. When I was about to close my eyes, Russ growled to someone behind me. I was alerted.

"Easy there Russ. What's wrong?" Russ continued to growl and kept on pulling me back towards the house - using its mouth - but I chose to look back. It was a corpse, running towards my me. I screamed out, terrified and was rooted on the ground. There was nothing I could do. Everyone was inside, but everything happened in a short period of time. Russ was already on the floor - motionless -as the corpse started eating it.

"Russ!!!!!!!!" I ran towards my puppy and pulled it around my arms. The corpse lunged towards me and I closed my eyes as tears slid down for my dead puppy.

"I don't care if you eat me! Just kill me now!"

Please be alive Russ. Please. Just please open your eyes for me. Russ!!!!

............................................................

We were startled when the sound eerily penetrated around us. Nate quickly stood up and ran towads the sound's direction.

Casey opened her eyes - mentally preparing herself for the incoming impact. But, nothing happened. She opened her tearful eyes and first saw the corpse, lying on the floor with an arrow struck on its forehead. She blinked, unable to believe what she just saw and looked behind her. Nate, Sandra and Jack stood ready. She ran immediately and embraced Nate as her body trembled in fear. Her small, frail hands were warm around him. She continued to cry.

Nate

I felt Casey's fears. I felt her sorrows. So far, she was brave enough to stand on her ground. Russ died yet she did what she ought to do - protect it with all her might.

"Shit, Nate" James exclaimed.

I looked ahead and swallowed the lump on my throat. A massive number of corpses were heading our way. It snarled fiercely and gnashed its teeth. I pushed Casey towards Sandra and she catched her smoothly around her arms.

"Go, now!"

They ran inside. James stayed and stood beside me - holding onto his weapon.

"Ready to loosen up?" James grinned.

I grinned back

"Heck, I am"

I gathered all my strength and ran towards the first target. The corpse was fast and was ready to lunge towards me. But, I was way faster. My blood started to boil inside me, exciting my every nerves. Heat rose up as I balled my fist - preparing to fight.

I was inches away when I grabbed the corpse's shoulders and fell on my back. It tried to claw me, but I pulled its arm and threw a kick to its ribs. I shoved it over me. It fell to the ground as its neck snapped to the opposite angle. I was enraged, mad because of them. They deserve to die.

To my right; I hammered my fist to its chest, stomach; grabbed its head - using both hands - and snapped it. They won't die in normal ways. Shoot them through their brains or you could snap their necks just like I did a while ago. You could kill them by striking a knife or a sword through their thick skulls; burn them or chop their bodies into pieces.