18.

Chapter 18

   ♥3 weeks later

   ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

   "What do you think?"

   "I honestly don't care Sarah," I said and she frowned and stomped back in the dressing room. This weekend was her birthday and she said she wanted to look "special." I sighed. I was sitting on the floor in the corner of the store near the dressing rooms.

   My phone rang and I looked at the caller ID. My face lit up when I saw it was Austin.

   "Hi Austin! What's up?" I asked. He didn't answer for a moment and I thought I heard sniffling.

   "Austin, what's wrong? Is everything ok?" I asked. I hope everything is alright.

   "Um... ," he said but his voice cracked and he started crying.

   "Austin what's wrong?" I asked. I was really worried about him.

   "Um but um my grandma just passed away," he explained and sniffed. I gasped. I knew he was always really close to his grandma.

   "Austin I'm so sorry! When did this happen?" I whispered into the phone. I've met his grandma before and she is the sweetest person on the planet.

   "Just tonight, um Audrey me and my mom are going to Tennessee to go to her funeral. You can either stay at the house by yourself because I know it's Sarah's birthday this weekend, or you could come with us," he said. I could tell by the way he talked he wanted me to come with him, but Sarah was my best friend. But I had to be there for Austin to support him.

   "Um I'll be right back, hold on," I said. I set the phone down. I stood up and walked towards Sarah who was examining herself in the mirror.

   "S-sarah?" I asked.  She looked up and smiled big at me.

   "It's going to be the best birthday party ever! I'm so glad you'll be there. It won't be fun without you, now what do you need?" she asked. She looked so happy but Austin needs me.

   "Um what if I couldn't go to your birthday party?" I asked. Her face fell.

   "You c-can't go?" she asked.

   "No, yes, I mean look Sarah, Austin-," I explained but she cut me off.

   "Oh of course. Austin. Ever since you two started dating I've turned invisible to you haven't I? What are you two going to do? Have a picnic at the park while I'm miserable on my birthday," she snapped at me coldly. 

   My mouth fell open.

   "Sarah I didn't know you felt that way," I explained but she shook her head.

   "You know what? Just go with him. I'm sure what it is it's more important then my birthday," she said and then walked back in the dressing room leaving me there. I bit my lip.

   "Sarah his grandma died and I need to be there for him," I said but she was already locked in the dressing room. I sighed and starting fumbling with the hem of my sleeve.

   "Sarah?" I asked. I knew she could hear me.

   "Oh and I'm probably going to take awhile, you might as well walk home," she said from inside the dressing stall.

    "But it's raining," I mumbled.

   "Can't you take a hint? My mom isn't going to drive you home if I say I don't want her to! Now leave!" she shouted.