New Guy

After staying up late with Noah, I am very tired. I just want to lie in bed all day long, but at 7:00, my mom barges in my room like always.

"Rise and shine sleepy-head! It's a beautiful day!" She says, opening my curtains to reveal the blinding sunlight.

I squint at the sudden bright light and groan.

"Can I skip school" I mumble.

"Of course not! It's only your second day!" My mother says. She is always so peppy and cheery. No wonder she was head cheerleader in high school.

I do a fake cough and she put her hands on her hips and gives me a look.

"I think I'm coming down with something." I say.

"Hmmm... okay. I guess you can skip." She says and walks out of the room.

I relax back into my pillow and start to go back to sleep. All of the sudden, ice cold water hits my face and I shoot up out of bed.

"Mom!" I say, pouting. She smirks and walks away. I open my closet to pick out an outfit. I decide on jean shorts and a loose fitting shirt with a funky tribal print. I pick out a matching pair of flip-flops and put my hair into a side braid. The smell of bacon reaches my nose and I get excited. I put on my makeup as fast as possible and rush out the door.

As I am running down the stairs, I trip and go flying.

"Are you okay honey?" My mother says in her apron with a spatula. She hovers over me and I feel a bit dizzy.

"Nothing some bacon can't cure." I say, smiling. My mom puts some eggs and bacon on a plate and the doorbell rings. Cassie is driving me to school today and she is early. She walks in talking with my mother and then she stops.

"What?" I ask, going to take a bite of the delicious bacon.

"No!" She screams and slaps the bacon out of my hand. My dog, Tootsie, a brown Yorkie, quickly eats it off the floor.

"Diet, remember?" She says.

"Just one piece?" I plead.

"No." She says, feeding the rest to Tootsie and leaving me with just an egg. I eat that quickly and grab my bag.

"Bye mom." I shout on the way out the door.

"Bye sweetie! Have a good day at school!" She shouts back.

I shut the front door and Cassie takes out her car remote. I hear a click and then I open the bright yellow punch buggy's car door. The car is small and I have to squish in the passenger seat. It totally suits Cassie and though she could afford a more expensive car, she like this one better.

On the short drive to school, we talk about random things. Time passes by quickly and before I know it, I am undoing my locker combination. No creepy note today. I sigh in relief.