Prologue

"Is this Miss Zipporah Roux?" A generic woman's voice inquires on the other side of the phone. I sigh, tilting my head up towards the ceiling and pinching the bridge of my nose. This must be the fiftieth call today, and probably has to do with my yet unscheduled doctor's appointment. My cubicle mate Nolan chuckles under his breath, shaking his head at my frustration. I gesture for him to get back to interpreting the speech we were working on into French and lean back in my stiff, creaky office chair. I offer the typical three word answer.

"Yes, it is."

"Miss Roux, I am calling to inform you that your father was hit in a t-bone collision. He is currently in the intensive care unit at the Virginia Mason Hospital in Seattle." I stifle a gasp and lean forward with a start, grabbing a pen from Nolan and scribbling down what she said.

"What happened? How was he hit?" I ramble while scrambling to pack up my things. Nolan gets the hint and helps me out, allowing me to stay on the phone with the lady.

"He was entering an intersection on a fresh green when a commercial van skidded down the hill into the intersection. He was then hit by a truck which had run the light. He is not at fault. Miss Roux, your mother has also been notified, and is on her way to the hospital now."

"I'm on my way." I reply and the call cuts off. I heave my bags up off of the desk with a grunt and dial my younger brother's number as I jog out of the building. Nolan will cover for me. I race to my silver scion xB and throw my things into the back, waiting for Isaac to answer. After a few rings, I give up and hurry to the Bainbridge Island ferry terminal in time to make the packed departure.

Forty five minutes later, I meet my mom in the waiting room. We hug tightly, exchanging no words, and sit together in a corner, "Zipporah, they told me that he'll need surgery and will have a long recovery."

"I'll help cover expenses."

"Zipporah, you need to cover your own. You're a young, fresh out of school adult."

"Mom, I can help. Trust me." I grab her hand and look into her dark blue eyes, the ones that have unceasingly looked at me and my family with unconditional love and support, which now reflect deep anguish. She sighs and runs a hand through her bobbed silver-streaked blonde hair, brushing away a fallen tear. "You've done so much for our family. It's time I carry more weight for us."

"You're stubborn, Zipporah. Just like your father."

"I am his daughter, after all." I chuckle, lightening the mood.

"Family of Mister David Roux?" Calls a nurse. We stand up as calmly as possible and are escorted silently through the hydraulic doors to the intensive care unit. As I walk with my mom down the ghostly sterile hospital corridors, my mind races. I can help my family out, it just means being more frugal and careful. I can spare a few commodities. It's not much, after all.

This story is the revised edition of Domino Circuit, and I hope that you like it! Please view and comment! Thanks for reading!

~Uilosris