Chapter 24 (Unedited)

Chapter 24

After our dance we exited the floor arm in arm. Jed led me over to a group of people who joined us in their conversation. Jed introduced each person to me. I recognized all the names to be council members, and bowed my head to them in respect as I was introduced to them. They quickly went into a conversation about trade and stocks. I stood by quietly trying to follow the conversation, but honestly I knew nothing about the conversation.

I was thankful with Janella came over and pulled me from the conversation. I excused myself and followed her to a group of woman. She introduced  them to me, and I recognized two of the woman that were talking on the balcony when I was outside.

“So nice to meet you.” Said the first woman. Her name was Lady Marlene

“You also.” I gave her the best smile I could. She was so pleasant right now. I wonder how she would react if she knew I hear them earlier.

“How are you enjoying the ball?” Asked the second woman. Her name was Lady Sandra.

“Very much. Thank you for asking.” I smiled. I really didn’t want to be around them, but I might as well get use to it. After all, it is my duty to know everyone, and to be kind to all. These had to be the two fakest women I had ever met in my life.

“How long have you and Prince Jedidiah been seeing each other?” Lady Sandra asked.

“For a while now.” My answer was short, but that was all they were getting out of me. It was none of their business how long I had known him or our history.

“Funny we never heard of you.” Lady Marlene looked at me with piercing eyes and her nose slightly in the air. She knew I wasn’t telling everything, and she wanted more.

“Yes dear.” Lady Sandra agreed. “We have never heard of you.” At the part of her statement she turned her nose slightly in the air mimicking Lady Marlene.

“I do apologize, Lady Marlene.  I figured you and Lady Sandra would know everything regarding the Coven.” I smiled and then realized what I had said. I looked at Janella who was trying to hide a smile. Both women looked at me in shock and disgust from what I had just said.  “I hope you Ladies have a lovely evening. Please excuse me.” I left the conversation a little irritated with myself and a little proud at the same time. I held my head up high with a smile on my face as I walked away. I never meant to offend anyone, but they deserved what was said.

I looked for Jed through crowd, but was unable to find him. I stopped and spoke to people along the way. After not being able to find Jed  I decided to take a walk and left the ballroom through the main hall. I was almost to the foyer when I heard voices.

“Melissa, you just don’t understand all that has happened.” The voice was Jed’s. Who was he talking to out here? Why did he leave the ballroom?

“I don’t know why you are going on with the charade. Jed, you love me and I love you. Why are you doing this?” Melissa voice was cracking and a soft sob left her throat.

“You have to accept this. This is how it is and how it will be. I explained everything to you at lunch. Charlotte will be in my live for eternity. There is nothing anyone can do about that. Not you, I, or anyone” Jed said. His voice was even and showed no sign of emotion which was odd for him.

“I can’t accept you not being in my life Jed. What we have is too important to me. I need you.”

“Melissa, please. Make this easier on the both of us. Just get…..” He’s voice was cut off.

I peeked my head around the corner and Melissa had her hands wrapped around Jed kissing him. That was all I needed to see. I turned and ran down the hall in the opposite direction from the ballroom. I ran as fast as I could not knowing where I was going.