Chapter 13 (Unedited)

Chapter 13

After we ate dinner and desert we talked about the house and how his family has owned it for hundred’s of years. They owned several other properties through out the US, but this is the place they considered home. He was proud of the history of the home and proud of his family. It was nice to see someone with that sentament. Now a days now one thinks that way. I thought I was the last one.

“How about a tour of the house?”

“That would be nice.” I stood up from the table and my purse fell over. I had forgotten about the manilla envelope that contained the pictures, and there it was now exposed along with the other contents of my purse. Jed bent down to help me pick everything up. My heart sunk as he picked up the envelope and the pictures fell out.

“What’s this?” He asked picking up the pictures. He skimmed thru the pictures of me and Mitch. His face grew angrier by the picture. “Who took these?” he said with his face red with anger.

“Please, don’t worry about it. I have it handled.” I said reaching for the pictures.

He moved the pictures out of reach, “You have what handled? These are not what happened.”

“You know?” I said curious.

“Who do you think sent you that package about the Daniels character? That bastard should have gotten more than what happened. He should have been taken out back and beaten.” He ran his hand through his hair.

“Don’t worry about this. I have it handled. I can’t tell you anything else as there is way to much riding on this.” My hands and voice were shaky as I said those words. I was doing everything I could not to cry. I reached out an took the pictures from his hand.

“Please, let me help you?” Jed asked softly and kindly putting a hand on my arm.

“There is nothing you can do. I just have to do as he asked, and then everything will be fine.”

“He’s black mailing you? Whoever took these pictures are trying to black mail you?”

“Something like that.” I still couldn’t look at him. I was to ashamed.

He put his hand under my chin and pulled my face up to him. I looked at his soft blue eyes that where now full of compassion. “Hey, you have nothing to me ashamed of. You did nothing wrong and you didn’t know about that jerk.”

“I should have. I should have known better.”

“There was no way for you to know. Now, you just let me handle this. Just tell me who is doing this to you.”

“I can’t. That’s part of the deal. I get to keep my carrer if no one finds out. I just have to pay him the money and it’s over. All will remain as it is.”

“So, how much is Stein blackmailing you for?”

“No, not him.” I had to lie to him. He just looked at me suspicious for a moment. He can’t know what was going on and let alone that it was Stein. My career depended on this.

“Ok, I’ll just wait for you to tell me.”

“Thank you.” I smiled up at him.

“Ready for the tour?” He asked with a smile, and offering me his arm

I took his arm, “I’m ready. So tell me about your family.”

“What do you want to know.”

“You have a brother and sister you mentioned.”

We walked down the hall arm in arm. “My sister is my twin, and her name is Janella. We have a younger brother who’s name is Jonah”

“How much younger?”