Chapter 36

{Chapter 36}

The next morning, Katie was awoken by the stream of light that burned the lids of her eyes, and the distinct knot she felt in her lower back.

She opened her heavy eyes groggily, pulling her face away from the pillow she rested her head on. When her eyes adjusted to her surroundings, the swarm of memories from the night before hit her like a freight train.

She was laying on the couch, which explained the knot in her back. She sat up, pulling the covers closer around her. She was in nothing but Harry's old Jack Will's t-shirt that barely covered her bum.

"Harry, you know what this would mean to her!"

Katie's eyes darted towards the kitchen, where she realized that somewhere around the corner, Ashley and Harry were in the middle of a heated argument. Katie furrowed her eyebrows and rubbed the sleep from her eyes as she tried her best to listen in.

"Yeah, but I don't know Ash. Maybe it's not such a good idea." She could hear Harry mumble in reply.

She wondered who they were talking about. Instead of being the awkward eves-dropper, she decided to stand up from the couch and pad her way around the corner and into the kitchen.

The second she entered the room, both sets of eyes turned to look at her with surprised expressions on their faces.

Ashley was standing in front of Harry, as Harry leaned against the kitchen counter in nothing but a pair of navy blue boxers. He looked exhausted. His hair was messier than usual and she wondered briefly if he had gotten much sleep last night.

That was when Katie remembered how drunk he had been, what he had said to her and where he must have slept last night.

Katie's cheeks roused with crimson blush as she realized that the boy must have woken up with her in his arms, cuddled together on the couch.

"Oh, good morning Katie!" Ashely smiled brightly, uncrossing her arms before giving Harry and nervous sideways glance.

Perhaps it had been her they were talking about.

"Morning, Ash." Katie smiled sweetly to the blonde, and then looked over to find Harry looking at her heavily with soft eyes.

She couldn't help but gulp under his stare before he pushed himself off of the counter. Her eyes couldn't help as they drifted down his chest, and towards the prominent V-lines that she once had the pleasure of outlining with her own finger tips.

"Mornin' Harry." She mumbled.

He gave her half of a smile, as Ash clapped her hands together suddenly, bringing Katie to attention.

"Well, I have to go finish packing, so you two can talk." She stated, with a cheeky smile.

"Wait, packing for what?" Katie asked with furrowed eyebrows, but before either of them could say anything, she remembered.

"Oh, you're going back to Holmes Chapel." Katie mumbled.

"Yup!" Ashely smiled. "And we'll be leaving soon, so I better get to it!" The blonde girl bubbled and padded out of the kitchen. Katie and Harry both watched her go, before the brunette turned back to the boy who stood in silence before her.

"So, Harry-" She started, biting her bottom lip thoughtfully. She might as well clear the air now, she thought. "About last night-" She mumbled the famous line.

She looked up at him, to find his eyes dart to hers. For a second they crossed with panic.

"-Do you want breakfast or anything?" He asked quickly. The words left his mouth in a rush.