Chapter 31

{Chapter 31}

Katie leaned back on the heels of her stilettos as she turned to grin at the boy who stood behind her. She cocked her head to the side, holding her jacket in her hands at the front of her as he smiled back at her.

Behind her, the elevator dinged as the doors opened.

Jordan smiled down at her, his blue eyes glistening in the dim lights of the apartment building lobby.

"Thanks for tonight." Katie grinned, taking in the way he looked in his black dress shirt and dress pants. He stood with his hands in his pockets, giving her a crooked grin as she smirked at him mischievously. "I can't remember the last time I went out on a-"

"Date?" Jordan's blue eyes glimmered. Katie raised her eyebrows gently as she looked up at him, a hint of surprise written across her face.

A small smirk played on her lips. "Is that what that was?"

She knew what the answer was as his hopeful but gentle eyes stared back at her. She held her playful smirk and comfortable stare, but inside, her stomach grew uneasy at the thought.

"If you want it to be one." He answered, his crooked smile on his face was taunting as he took a step closer to her.

Just at the right moment, she heard the elevator doors begin to close in impatience behind her. Pulling them both from their revery, Katie reached towards the closing doors to slide through, leaving Jordan standing outside them giving her a confused but playful smile as he shook his head.

"I guess I'll see you later." She smiled at him as the doors began to close. He nodded and before they closed completely, he called through them once more.

"I want to take you out again. A real date this time."

When the doors shut completely and the elevator stuttered to life, she felt her stomach clench in anxiety at the boys' words.

Her thoughts became louder than the elevator music as she spent her whole ride up the the penthouse wondering what she should do.

-

When she had returned to the flat that afternoon after her walk, she wasn't greeted by Andrea at the front door.

On the fridge was a sticky note that read in Andrea's bubbly handwriting,

Went to find a job, be back later x

She had gotten ready for her dinner with Jordan. When she had agreed to going out with him, she never considered it as a formal date. Should she have, she wondered? He was a great guy, who was always sending her flirty winks and 'how are you this morning?' texts.

He was nice enough, but she wondered if the boy had harmless intentions. He had come around just before 9 to pick her up to take her to some fancy resturant he had made a reservation at. The dinner date had gone well, he insisted on talking about things she had no interested in, such as poltics of the weather and when she had spilt her sparkling water on the table, he had seemed annoyed the rest of the night.

As much as she wished she could deny it, she was happy to be home.

Now, as the elevator doors opened to reveal the darkened living room and kitchen, she kicked off her stilettos and padded across the room towards the kitchen counter. 

Without turning on any of the lights around her, she felt her way to the cupboard and grabbed a glass. She walked to the sink and turned on the cold water, filling her glass up to the rim and turning the water off again.

"Where were you?"

Katie gasped in surprise and darted to look at the outlined silhouette of Andrea standing at the end of the hallway, looking at her with crossed arms.