Chapter 42

{Chapter 42}

"Katie, it's so great to see you." Andrea's mother, Jennifer, cooed as she took the brunette into her arms.

Katie's arms tangled around the petite woman's waist as she took in the familiar scent of her vanilla perfume. Mr. Rolland stood beside his wife with a sad smile on his face. Saying hello to Andrea's parents was almost as heart wrenching as saying hello to her own parents.

"Hey Mrs.Rolland." Katie choked as she pulled away from the lady and held her at arms length. 

Katie felt obligated to say something. Perhaps apologize? Would a 'Sorry for taking your daughter away from you and across the ocean for 3 years?' work? Sadly, Katie believed that it truly wouldn't fix anything, but she found herself muttering an apology anyways.

"I'm really sorry, Mrs. Rolland." She said softly, glancing down at her hands as Harry stood behind her with his hands shoved into the pockets of his chinos.

The reception party was just beginning. The whole pier was full of people. People chatted near them, music played in the back ground. There were tents full of food. White flower petals everywhere with twinkling fairy lights lighting the pier now that the sun was nearing setting.

"Don't." Mrs. Rolland said, looking up at Katie with stern eyes. She pointed a finger at Katie, a small smile on her face. Katie remembered all the times this woman had been there for her. "No apologies are necessary, Ms. Dessing." She said. "You did what you had to do and for that? Well I've never been more proud."

Katie had never heard her stupid actions put into such terms before. Moving to London was something she had never regretted. She was convinced that this place was her true home but the guilt was something that had never left the depths of her stomach.

Her eyes opened slightly as the woman's lips curled upwards.

"You mean-" Katie started, but Mrs. Rolland cut her off.

"You followed your dreams, Katelyn." She smiled gently. "And for that, me and your mother are both extremely proud of you."

Katie couldn't contain her smile as she felt Harry's hand finally encircle hers. Mr. and Mrs. Rolland were being ushered away from them with the rest of the crowd, but before Katie could lose them she smiled back at her second parents.

"Thank you for coming." She said softly, and with that Mrs. Rolland's eyes filled with tears.

"We'll see you after, Katelyn." She said softly. "Thank you for taking care of my baby girl."

And with that said, the Rolland's were now in the middle of a conversation with other's as people Katie didn't recognize approached Harry and began chatting with him.

The smile never left her face as she heard Andrea's mom's words over and over again in her head.

Closure, she heard echo at the back of her head.

Realization dawned on her. After all the years of having that faint guilt sitting just below her heart, she realized that at that moment, it was gone. Mrs. Rolland's words had put everything into perspective for her.

Sure, sometimes you have to risk things important to you to get what you want out of life and Katie realized that if she could go back in time, she'd do it all over again.

She'd take the cards that was handed to her, no matter how shitty they were.

The most important thing was, that she made the best out of it. She played her hand well and now the game was almost over.