Chapter 12

{Chapter 12}

Andrea wasn't able to sleep at all.

When the bedside alarm clock flashed 5:30 am, she untangled herself from Zayn's strong arms and crawled out of the warm bed.

Her mind buzzed, the same way it did when she heard any kind of news from the doctors, the same way it did when the harsh reality of the situation hit her like a moving train.

The bacon sizzled in the pan as the sun slowly rose over the horizon that she watched from the kitchen window as she sipped her coffee.

"Andrea?"

She spun around to find a tired looking Zayn rubbing his eyes with his knuckles as his feet dragged across the kitchen floor. He looked at the bacon in the frying pan.

"What are you doing?" He asked. Her eyes glanced over at the clock on the oven that red 6:30.

She took another sip of her coffee before answering the boy. "Couldn't sleep." She mumbled. "What are you doing up?"

His morning voice sent shivers down her spine as he looked up and gave her a faint smile. "I realized you weren't in bed anymore so I couldn't sleep either."

Her heart fluttered at his words as she tried to contain the smile that stretched across her face.

He walked over and grabbed the spatula that lied on the countertop beside the stove. She watched him as he poked the sizziling bacon with a gentle smile on his face.

"I'm making breakfast for everyone." She mumbled. "I think everyone deserves a good, home cooked meal to wake up to."

He nodded.

She wondered if the truth had changed anything. Had his feeling's changed for her? Did he even have feelings for her?

That's the thing about the cold hard truth, she thought. It changes the way a person thinks and the way they see things. It can make the bad seem better or the good seem worse.

She wondered if the house would be the same.

If Louis would continue with his reckless jokes or Niall's laughter would still fill the house. She wondered if the boys would walk on egg-shells around Katie or send her sideway glances and treat her as if she could break at any moment.

That had been the reason she had decided not to tell them. There had been a distinct reasoning behind why Marissa and Andrea had come to the conclusion that the boys didn't need to know, they didn't need to know that Katie was dying.

It made everything a lot simpler, knowing that when the boys walked out of their lives after 3 weeks, they wouldn't carry the burden on with them.

That was the thing about the truth,

Sometimes people were better off not knowing things.

"I'm sorry." She apologized suddenly. Zayn looked up from the pan, meeting her sad but gentle eyes with his own.

"Don't be." He said, looking back down. A sad smile tugged at the corners of his lips as he turned the bacon in the pan. "I know why you did it, and if I was in the same situation, I would have done it too."