Chapter 69: Forest of Conscience

{Jonathan}

I hear a knock on the door to my apartment, and I know exactly who it is.

Kaner.

I get up off of the couch, and make my way over to the entrance of the apartment, swinging the door open.

"Jonny!" He laughs, waving at me.

"Hey Kaner." I laugh, moving aside for him to come in.

"I always forget how fucking nice your view is." He laughs, shaking his head as he looks out the back windows at the end of the apartment.

"It has its moments." I laugh, smiling down at the ground.

"Thanks for having me over, Jonny. I just need to get away from everything sometimes, and I feel like the hockey rink and this place are the only places I can do it." Kaner laughs, shaking his head.

"What's going on at the apartment?" I ask, tilting my head slightly.

"Nothing. Chaunette is over right now, and Abby and her are talking about all this girl stuff, and I don't understand any of it. And they're talking all about the twins and stuff, and after two hours, I had just had enough." Kaner laughs, running a hand through his hair.

I laugh.

"Well, I'm always glad to have you over so I can kick your ass in NHL16." I wink, laughing.

Kaner widens his eyes.

"You're kidding, right?" He asks, laughing.

I shake my head.

"You're on, Jonny boy." Patrick says, nodding upwards.

"Sweet. You go set it up, and I'll grab us a couple drinks." I say, heading off towards the kitchen.

I grab two bottles of beer from the fridge, and then make my way back over to the living room, which has the TV in it.

Kaner has already set up the Xbox, and put in the game.

I set our beers down on the table, and grab my controller from the table in front of us.

It's Monday, May 22, about 4:00 in the afternoon.

About half an hour ago, Patrick called me and asked if he could come over for a few hours, just to "get away from everything".

I laughed, and of course, said yes.

Last night, the Blackhawks played game 2 of the Western Conference Finals at the United Center, and we lost, 2-1.

It was a tough game, but we weren't battling as hard as we needed to be, hence the reason we lost.

The series is now tied 1-1.

Game three is in a couple days, in Vancouver.

The Hawks had a two hour long practice this morning at Johnny's Ice House, and then after that, we were free to come home.

"Your playoff beard looks ridiculous." Kaner says, looking over at me from the other side of the couch.

"Says you." I say, laughing.

"No, man. I've got the mullet and the flow, and then there's you. Like what are you, Wolverine?" Kaner asks, laughing.

"I'm pretty sure we have this discussion every year." I say, rolling my eyes playfully.

"I think that's true, to be honest." Pat laughs, as he selects the mode we are going to be playing.

"I dibs playing as the Blackhawks." I exclaim.