How to Fall in Love (13)

Copyright © 2013 by roastedpiglet (of Wattpad)

          All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval systems, without written permission from the author.

❀❃❀❃❀

c h a p t e r  t h i r t e e n

[  h o w  t o  b e  e x t r a n e o u s  t o  e l i t e s  ]

          Remember, Mia, your aim is to help him out, no matter what it takes, however painful it could get.

A brave feat was what it was.

For instead of slapping Finn and making him see no more sunshine like any other normal girl would do in this situation, I opted to help him instead.

I didn't use my mind when I asked him what would give the closure to my mind that I didn't stop and consider what the consequences might be. I didn't, not one second, realize just what exactly I had put into gamble, how high the stakes became when I put my chip in, that would make everything, from this pretending to helping Finn out, worthless.

"What did you just say?" Finn asked, a calm tone to his voice. Calm, yet absolutely angry.

I would be lying if I'd said I hadn't been deterred by this, hadn't been unnerved at this kind of angry that ever since I'd been alive I'd been trying to avoid, but my mind was made up, and I had to keep going. "I think you heard me, Mr. Laurel."

His eyes sharpened a shade, fastened firmly on mine. "I didn't."

"Is that really... Did I just... Finn Laurel?!"

I almost breathed an audible sigh of relief. I looked away, clipping my gaze on the ground. The voice served as a steel knife; it cut the tension hanging in the air, making it dissolve into particles—little puffs that would find each other again and reform as one giant bulk of tension once fate and time allow it.

"I can't believe it's finally you. I've wanted to meet you since Alex here told me about you."

Alex?

My head snapped up, to where the voice was, and found two people, a particular couple that bestowed me their companionship earlier in Robin Round. My heart froze at my throat as I darted my eyes from Ara—who I assumed had already left—looking at Finn as if she was seeing Frankenstein's head under a shifty lighting, to Alex, whose green eyes, those peaceful, lucid orbs, which were already latched on mine.

"Hi," he mouthed.

Ara squealed, suddenly taking the seat beside Finn. "I'm a big fan of your company. It is such an honor to finally meet you. Alex told me you would be here."

I was dumbfounded. "Ara?" I said.

Ara's head was quick to identify my voice, her brain fast to find out where I was which explained why her eyes were wide with shock and puzzlement—something that mirrored my own expression. What this didn't explain though was her lack of awareness of who was sat beside Finn when she arrived in the balcony. Was she that absorbed not to notice the first time around?