How to Fall in Love (12)

Copyright © 2013 by roastedpiglet (of Wattpad)

     All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval systems, without written permission from the author. 

Short Precaution (written 2014):

This is for everyone who's been hurt and whose personality has been affected by it. Mia Lockheart is not strong. She most definitely is not. But she will be – and for me, guys, that's what matters (and the fact that when she becomes strong will be shown in the story). It's up to you if you can be patient enough to deal with such a "weak nincompoop" before she becomes a "badass spirit animal."

Addendum (July 22, 2020): To be honest, I personally believe that there are many kinds of "strength," and Mia's strength lies in her resilience—in how, despite everything she's gone and is going through, she still has the courage to lift her chin up and step forward. And while she may not be the "strong" kind of main character we love to live vicariously through, the one who's the boss of everyone and never makes any mistakes, she's not particularly weak either—because she's still here, marching to the beat of her own heart. And that counts.

I've had my own lows before, and I'd berated myself for not being the kind of "strong" society places a higher value in—and for a really, really long while, I lived with that self-hatred, much of it extending to how I viewed Mia's character, compounded by how majority of the readers in the comments kept drilling how pathetic Mia was. But then, through time, I've also seen other comments, readers who share their own story, their own experiences, how they could relate to Mia. I then wondered how these people felt when they read the scathing judgement of their fellow readers, how hurt they must've been to see society react to their pain like that, even when society doesn't know them yet.

My point is, society can be cruel enough. Let's not be a microcosm of that, at least not in this story. I ask you to practice patience and kindness, and try to understand beyond the superficial level what people—what these characters—are going through. In short, let's be kind to each other. If we don't have anything kind to say, if we have this uncontrollable desire to lash out and judge, I urge you to close your eyes, clear your mind, and ask why you feel that way. Ask if you really feel that way, or if it's just what society told you to feel.

Let's do this, yeah? :>

                                                        ❀❃❀❃❀

                                           c h a p t e r  t w e l v e

              [  h o w  t o  b e  a  h a p p y  d a m s e l  i n  d i s t r e s s  ]

            It had been ten minutes of silence between us, but with my heart humming in my chest, it felt like a decade.

            "In a few minutes, the event will commence," the host was saying, stepping off the podium and letting the crooning prevail. It was a lovely sound, the lax tune, and I found myself on the brink of sleep every other minute, wanting to forget about our fight a while ago. Finn, on the other hand, couldn't be more awake, jabbing fingers on his phone without a care in the world, but I could tell he'd already calmed down, too.