How to Fall in Love (9)

Copyright © 2013 by roastedpiglet (of Wattpad)

          All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval systems, without written permission from the author.

I M P O R T A N T :

Written on July 18, 2016

Some time ago, La Hermosa Ice Cream Shop was renamed to La Linda Ice Cream Shop. But now, I'm renaming it back to La Hermosa Ice Cream Shop. Should you see incongruities regarding the name of the damned ice cream shop (e.g. in one chapter, you see it as La Hermosa, and then in the next La Linda, and then in another, La Hermosa), I kindly ask you to be awesome and just roll with it. Thanks!

❀❃❀❃❀

c h a p t e r  n i n e

[  h o w  t o  s t i l l  b e  a  d u c k l i n g , j u s t  n o t  a s  u g l y  ]

          It's been a week since I'd moved into the penthouse.

There had been nothing very remarkable this week, save for the newspaper I received a few days back about Laurel-Tech finally, as a team, worked to fix the bug. There was no promotion, but it had been said that "a generous pay rise has been given for intellectual teamwork." That must be the payment for the crew's silence, or if you want a less morbid description, the extra salary for those who needed to pretend they solved an actual bug.

I didn't know. I didn't know how he settled it, how he tied the loose ends to his pretend story.

But I didn't need to care about that exactly.

I quickly adapted to the penthouse and now thought of it as comfy and comfortable, just like my loft back at Mr. Kendrick's apartment. I'd roamed around the neighbourhood in Little Manhattan (an urban suburb in Upper Manhattan) and gotten a job at the ice cream shop two streets down.

My shift in La Hermosa Ice Cream Shop was every Wednesday and Thursday, and it takes a lot of courage not to scoop every flavor into a huge cone and devour it all for myself so as not to risk losing the grand eight dollars each hour my manager entitled to give me. Unlike Clifford, La Hermosa's manager didn't ask for my paperwork, and just asked if I were a working student, which I said no to.

But even though, she hired me, explaining that she needed beautiful girls to work in her shop as "Hermosa" meant beautiful in Spanish. I doubted I was beautiful, but I didn't bother protesting since she'd already hired me.

I only worked for seven hours, though, which meant I had 196 dollars each week, and though I didn't have a rent to pay, I decided that I was going to rectify my mistake and start saving up to be able to enroll in a semester. I'd stopped studying since that nerve-wracking day, but that was several months ago, and I couldn't just sit down and cut my education forevermore especially now that a whole load of my expenses were hauled off my shoulders.