| c h a p t e r 62 |

I lay in bed, bare in his arms. His soft breaths caress the back of my neck as his arms are wrapped protectively around me. I stir a bit so I can face him. He looks younger when he sleeps. I raise my hands to both sides of his face, feeling the stubble against my fingertips.

I stare at the man I love. The man I made love with last night. It wasn't sex, it wasn't some physical-release. It was an outward expression of our love. After thinking I had lost him, I realized how much I needed him. He felt the pain more than I because I blinded it with pure anger, jealousy, and self-doubt. His was magnified because he felt responsible for the damage.

It hurts me that I hurt him. I did. I really did and I'm glad I agreed to the conversation. I was about to cause a world's more of hurt by getting a new apartment. And that would have solidified our break-up even further.

It's hard to admit that I don't trust Tobias like I used to, especially considering last night, but I don't. Most of my distrust lies in Madison.

I smile as my thumb caresses his lower lip. He slightly moves with my touch, his eyes fluttering open as he looks at me. A large smile spreads across his countenance, even brightening his eyes.

"I've missed this," his deep voice speaks, as he brushes away a stray strand of hair that had fallen in front of my face. "Missed waking up beside you."

"Me too," I smile, running my hand throughout his hair. "It feels different this time though, doesn't it?"

A smile tugs at the corner of his lips, "Because we're naked?" His eyebrows raise as he chuckles.

I roll my eyes at his stupidity. "That," I murmur, "and that we just made love."

His eyes stare through me as he smiles yet again. His eyes twinkle as he whispers, "Do you regret it?"

I gaze at him for a moment and I feel his muscles tense with nervousness that perhaps I think we've made a mistake. He releases a breath as I shake my head. "No," I whisper. "No, not one bit? You?"

He chuckles as if the question is absurd. "Absolutely not." We remain silent for a moment before he whispers, "I love you, Tris."

I bite my lip, bringing my head in closer proximity to his before whispering, "I love you too, Tobias."

His eyes are closed as I see a small smile flicker on his lips before they immediately attach to mine. My eyes immediately flutter closed. This time, when we're kissing, something feels different. We're no longer two different people. We're one of the same.

He pulls away, not wanting to start something this early in the morning or this soon after what we did. He must mentally understand that I'm sore.

"I, um," I admit with a deep blush, "it was better than I thought it would be."

He chuckles, kissing my forehead. "For me too," he whispers. "And, trust me, I thought it would be amazing."

+    +    +

"Spill," Christina demanded at the lunch table. I immediately regret not informing her I was going to talk to him. But, never, not once did I think I would actually stay the night over there.

"What's there to spill?"

"Oh, come on, you know," Christina starts out slowly, then explodes, "why you weren't at my place last night and you walk in with him today?!"

I smile, coyly, looking over at Tobias who is in line for some Dauntless cake. I cringe playfully, awaiting her reaction as I say, "We made up."

Her eyebrows raise. "Just like that?!"

My eyes dart over to Tobias who is now at the front of the line and will be returning to the table soon. It's just the three of us today.

"I'll tell you more later. He's coming back."

She sighs and not a moment later does a slice of dauntless cake appear beside my half-eaten hamburger. He sends me a secretive smile, saved solely for me.

Christina's eyes dart back and forth between us, almost like she's seen a ghost. "Oh gosh. Why do the two of you look like you're glowing. I've never seen either of you be happy at the same time."

"Hey, we're happy all the time," Tobias defends, holding up a hand. He looks over at me and we share a small look and laugh.

Christina covers her mouth. "Oh my god, you two did it!" she whisper shouts, looking back and forth between us. I look over to Tobias quickly before deciding to remain mute. Guilty as charged.

Taking our silence as a vote of confirmation, her mouth drops. I almost smile at how dramatic she is being. Christina being Christina, she gushes, "Finally! How was it?"

I giggle at those being her first questions. I knew this would happen when she found out. I just didn't want it to happen in this setting. With theses many people and initiates in the room . . . .

I roll my eyes and murmur, "Christina, we're kind of in the middle of the cafeteria if you haven't noticed."

"Oh. Right. Yeah. Sorry. I forgot you were a Stiff. But please tell me you wore protection," she asks secretively. I roll my eyes. How could we forget with her reminding us day after day after day?

+++

Initiation drags by today and it's tiring. Tobias and I will post the first rankings today after the fights.

After Tamani and Blade's fight ends with Blade coughing up blood, Tobias critiques their techniques.

Blade looks menacingly upward at Tobias, blood smearing his face. "If you think this was so horrible, why don't you show us how it's done?"

Tobias raised his eyebrows. "You want to fight me? Is that a challenge?"

Blade laughs. "No," he then gives me a cursory glance. "I want you to fight her."

Madison almost squeals, grasping her friend by the arm. Tobias looks over to me and scoffs. "No. I don't need to prove myself to you."

"Maybe just an instructional lesson though?" Crystal volunteers. "I'd like to know what your fighting style is."

Tobias glances over to me, nervously asking for my opinion on the matter. I look around the initiates, arms crossed. They all seem to be having murmurs of agreement, except Jenna who looks around, disgusted with her fellow initiates.

"Maybe we should just learn to fight ourselves and use the techniques they have taught us. They don't have to bloody themselves up for your benefit. Instead, you're focusing on a fight between our instructors just to stall getting to your own turns," Jenna spits.

A few people laugh. "What do you know? You're probably at the bottom of the leaderboard. Fuck off. I want to see this fight."

I look over at Tobias warily before I say, my voice monotone, "Fine.

I may not like it, but challenge accepted . . .

A/N

So this is a short update because many people have been commenting on my last chapter asking for a new update. Yes, it's been weeks. But yes, I have a life! Lol, just thought I'd make that little point,

I love writing this and I love getting your feedback on it, but as much as I do love it, I have further priorities in my life. Please understand :)

Hopefully I will have another chapter up soon, but no promises. But I will say: soon!

Y'all are seriously awesome (and no I normally don't say y'all before you guys think I'm from Texas or something lol).

>>Read, Vote, Comment<<