| c h a p t e r 54 |

"Your hair is shorter," he murmurs to me. I nod, biting my lip and looking down at my shoes which have suddenly become interesting.

I'm expecting him to berate me for over-reacting or something similar, bur he doesn't. His hands run through my hair gently and when I meet his gaze, his eyes are set on mine.

They're usually dark blue, but something about the lighting in the room and emotions on his face make them seem lighter right now. In them, I can see passion and love. He stares at me like I'm the only thing worth looking at it.

"It's looks pretty," he murmurs. Then, placing a feathery kiss to my neck, he whispers, "You look beautiful."

"It's only because I'm wearing makeup," I respond in a hush voice. I don't know why we are talking so low right now, it's not like we're surrounded by people.

"No," he says to me. "You're always beautiful, but the makeup accentuates my point even further."

"I thought you told me I wasn't pretty," I tease, referring to our first kiss in the chasm.

His face remains placid as he responds, "I was just annoyed with the term. 'Pretty' and all it comes with. No, you're not just pretty. You're beautiful, Tris. I can't believe you don't see it yourself. You are. And I don't love you just because of your outward appearance, I love you because you're brave, and you're selfless. You're caring and you're extremely smart. I love you because you accept me.

"And, truth be told, I could go on and on with my list. My love for you is infinite. I want everything with you, Tris. I want the holidays and the birthdays, the inside jokes, the fights, everything. I want a life with you."

My heart pounds, and I almost wonder if he can hear it shouting how much I love him. I smile at him, a little embarrassed.

My cheeks are red and I know it. He notices it as well because he smiles sweetly and kisses my cheek, "Red is a nice color on you; makes me know I'm doing something right."

"You're doing everything right, Tobias," I smile, wrapping my arms around his neck as he stares lovingly down at me.

He rests his forehead against mine and my hands drop to both sides of his face. "I won't let anything get between us," he whispers. "I love you too much for that to happen."

What if it isn't an anything rather than an anyone? Or, even worse, what if the anyone is him when he realizes one day that I'm not enough. But I put a smile up, and realize that even though he might get bored of me in the future, the present is ours.

"I love you," I whisper. "I love you so much Tobias."

He just smiles. "That's all I want."

I raise my lips to his softly and they just stay there. Neither of us moves as we absorb the beauty of being in the other's arms.

"I have something I want to tell you later," the words he spoke at the net come back to me.

"Is that what you wanted to tell me?" I ask him, our lips millimeters apart.

"No," he says. "There's more. But it can wait."

With that his lips meet mine again and he kisses me. Slowly, at first, but then I move my lips against his with more passion. He reacts, winding his arms around my back and pulling me to him even further.

He demands entrance to my mouth and our kiss deepens. His kisses me hard and passionately, our unbridled love and desire apparent. His lips travel away from my lips. They travel down my jaw and to my neck. My legs begin to get uneasy, but the breather is a comfort.