| c h a p t e r 41 |

"We have a late day tonight," Tobias says to me at the lunch table. Our friends are all engaged in other conversations as we have a private one.

"Yeah," I sigh, entwining our hands together. "I don't feel like staying up 'till one. Why does it have to be Wednesday?"

Tobias and I have been together for roughly a year now. One of the many things I love about him is that he cares enough about me to keep our relationship at a slow pace. It shows me that he respects me so much and he values what I think.

Last night, when Tobias got too drunk after the party, it made me question whether or not he wants me long term. Whether he's just happy that someone has finally found an interest in him or he actually genuinely likes me. I know that almost every girl in Dauntless would be a better match for him and it still surprises me that he chose me out of everyone.

That was the basis of my dream last night. I'm scared that I'm unlovable; that one day, he'll realize he could do better and just leave me. But what he said reassured my feelings for him a thousandfold. I'm in love with Tobias Eaton. I am.

"What're thinking about?" he asks me.

"Us," I whisper back.

"Mmm, what about us?" he asks.

"I don't know. Just us."

"Well I like 'just us,'" he murmurs back and squeezes my hand.

I smile and he kisses me on the cheek. "Tris," he says.

"Yeah?"

"Tell me about your childhood."

"What about it? I was Abnegation, it's not that interesting."

I'm surprised that he's taken a sudden interest in learning about my past. We've touched on it before, but I've never had an urge to divulge more than what I'd shared with him previously. I always thought he would never want to know more because it might pain him.

"Come on, Beatrice," he taunts. I eye him and he laughs. "Like tell me about it. Your friends, your life, your family, your crushes."

I shake my head and laugh, "My crushes?!"

He nods intently with a large smile. "What? I'm entitled to know aren't I? I am your boyfriend after all."

"Well there's really not much to know. I mean you know my family. My mother, my father, me, and Caleb. I was the epitome of all things selfish." He tries to correct me on that point, but I keep going. "I was always longing to take a last sneak peak in the mirror. I always forgot to give away my seat to someone else on the bus. Caleb and my parents were always having to correct my behavior. It was a simple life; I went to school, I ate, I slept. I had a small group of friends."

"Who was that guy from Amity you were talking on the trip to the fence during initiation? Was he from Abnegation as well?"

"You remember that?" I ask smiling.

"Of course I remember it. He was flirting with you so much that it's hard to forget. That's why I stepped in."

I roll my eyes. "My lord you are so jealous. He wasn't flirting with me, we were just friends. Plus, no boy has ever flirted with me-"

He opens his mouth to say something.

"I hardly call throwing knives at my head flirting with me," I interrupt.

He laughs. "What about Blake?" he asks.

I laugh. "I don't know. He was drunk or something. I'm not attractive so-"