A Kind Heart

The Doctor and Astrea held on to the console as the TARDIS shook uncontrollably. The shaking stopped and they both ran to the door, walking out hand in hand. They approached the house near by and Astrea knocked on the door. They were greeted by a tall, nineteen year old boy with short black hair. "Hello?"

"Hi. Stacy in?" Astrea asked smiling.

"No. Mum left a few minutes ago. Do you need her?"

"No. It's just I'm meant to babysit tonight."

"Oh. Your Miss Robinson. Sorry. Uh, come in." The teenager gestured them to come in.

"Thank you. Hope you don't mind I brought my boyfriend along to help. Also just call me Sam. Short for Samantha." Astrea smiled, walking into the house.

"Hello. John Smith. What's your name?" The Doctor asked the teenager.

"Steven and I guess you'd like to meet the others."

"Others?" Astrea asked.

"Yea. Mum always says it's one child so that when the babysitter gets here they can't back out."

"Personally I would have said yes if there were five kids to look after." Astrea smiled. "I just like helping people out."

"That's very kind of you Samantha. Come on. I'll introduce you to James and Susan." Steven said, walking off into the living room. A small five year old boy ran into the room and when he saw Astrea and the Doctor he hid behind Steven's legs. "This is James. He becomes shy when he sees new people."

Astrea crouched down and became eye level with the small child. "Hello, James. I'm Samantha." Astrea said softly. James coward behind Steven's legs more. "Do you want me to show you a wee trick?" James gave a small nod and Astrea put her hands up to show they were empty then put a hand near his ear and produced a coin. James face lit up when she gave him the coin. "Here you go. You keep that safe." James gave her a hug of thanks then ran off.

Steven looked at Astrea shocked. "How did you do that?" He asked.

"Oh, the trick is very simple. You ju-"

"No not the trick." Steven said, cutting across Ast. "Gaining his trust so quickly. He's never done that before."

Astrea laughed slightly "I honestly don't know."

Steven nodded and walked over to a baby bouncer in the corner, lifting out the baby. The Doctor whispered in Astrea's ear saying, "I have a feeling that you are really good with kids."

"I don't know, Doctor. That might have just been luck."

Steven walked over to the Doctor and Astrea again saying, "This is Susan. She shouldn't be too much hassle. She's normally quiet."

"Can I hold her?" Astrea asked. Steven nodded and handed her over. "Hello, Susan." Astrea cooed. "Aren't you a beautiful wee girl." Susan started to laugh at Astrea acting childish.

"She's really good with children, John." Steven said to the Doctor.

"She is and call me the Doctor." The Doctor smiled.

"OK, Doctor. Would you and Samantha like a cup of tea or coffee?"

"Tea please. Astrea, would you like a cup of tea or coffee?"

"No, thank you." Astrea said politely, putting Susan on the floor to play with the toys.

"Oh. Forgot to say. You can call her Astrea." The Doctor said to a confused Steven as they walked into the kitchen.

Astrea sat down on the settee when James ran into the living room. "Hello again, James."

James smiled at Astrea and asked, "Will you and your friend play with me?"