Chapter 5: Running Around a Ring

3rd Person POV
John woke up slowly, to Cortana in his headset. "Chief? Chief? AT LAST! The... Others..."

"Cortana?"

"Wait! Elizabeth is alive!" She felt relieved, seeing the neural implant that showed if a person was alive or not working perfectly.

John picked up the girl, along with supplies and ammo, and some body armor. It wasn't that heavy. Cortana warned him of an approaching dropship, and he quickly ran across a bridge, and into a tree lined cliff. Finding a small area with rocks that hid him and the girl, he checked her for injuries, finding... None. She was fine. She had just passed out from the crash.

She woke up slowly, feeling a vest being placed on her body. It was body armor. She thought about the crash, and eyes widened. John was absentmindedly thinking of how much she looked like his younger sister, since he could vaguely remember her.

Elizabeth's POV
I stood up, after he handed me a pistol and an assault rifle, full of ammo. I checked the comms that were in the body armor, and found they were all good. I smiled, and followed again, behind John. We met with a pack in some trees, so we set up on a rock, and sniped with our pistols. 

We had a large ledge, which John just jumped down. I used the rocks, getting down quickly. We heard gunfire nearby. We rushed towards it, killing a few grunts and an elite. A Sergeant came up to us- Sergeant Johnson. I had heard him in the cafeteria and various other places. He was a comedian, but also took everything he did seriously when it came to working. He was a good ally to have.

"It's a mess sir. We're scattered all over this valley." He said

Another marine. "Covenant dropship! Over here!"

Cortana responded. "We'll stay here until evac arrives.

I stood on the top of the strange structure that we had found, in the middle of the valley. It has a platform, with two ramps that came up. A dead marine lay on top, shot and killed. I quickly set up, and shot with deadly accuracy, at every head I could that wasn't human. Good thing I had the pistol, and the ammo from the dead marine...

After several dropships, and some marine chatter, we got a call from Echo-419, asking for survivors. I helped some marines pile onto her craft, and she dropped a warthog for us to ride. I got shotgun, and another marine took the gun in the back while John took the wheel. We started our way down the valley, into a strange tunnel system beneath the area. After a small jump, we came upon a large room, which had a large gap in between. There seemed to be some sort of console up above, past enemy ranks. The gunner kept firing, while I used my pistol to make some head shots. God was I good at those!

When he activated the bridge, using the strange tech, it was made of light. I drove the warthog close, and touched it. The light... Was solid ground... How the hell...? I shook it off. I got back in, as John entered the drivers seat.

"It's solid. Somehow."

"Good."

He drove on, and we came out of the halls on an inclined valley. Cortana mentioned a few lifeboats needing help, so we went to the first group, inside of a structure on a cliff face. We went inside, and greeted the group, helping with enemies that covered the area above. Once we killed them all, Echo-419, or Foehammer, picked them up.

We drove on to the second area,  which was all green and had very little cover, except for a hill where some of the marines were taking pot shots at Covenant. We drove up, and I took the sniper rifle lying in a dead marine's hands, again, head shots all around. John seemed really impressed.

Let's just say I was thrown more sniper rifle ammo and got to keep the gun.

The last area was filled with large rocks. I was able to get on top of one, and snipe all of the incoming dropships, while dodging attacks. John stayed down below, where he aided the marines. We were finally done, and got to dust off ourselves.

John pulled me into the pelican, and I sat down, holding the sniper rifle in my hands. He pointed to it. "How'd you get so good?"

"I've been training a long time, and with a lot of different weapons. I really enjoy either close combat weapons, or long range like the sniper rifles, though, lacking a lot of protection, I prefer the long range."

"Interesting. By the way, they never mentioned that they taught you that."

"No. I'm not supposed to go on a lot of missions until I'm not only a little older, but also more experienced. But looks like we have no choice, do we?"

"No, I don't think so. I'm going to try and see if you can be on all my missions. I want to make sure that any mission I need your skills, your there. You seem really intelligent too."

We got off the pelican at the Alpha Base- the base that the ODSTs acquired for operations of our little rebellion.

"Yea. I've always been ahead in classes. Only academically though. I... Uhhhh.... Wasn't into physical activity."

"Then how'd you get the modifications like us?"

"It's... Complicated... And I'm not allowed to talk about it..."

"Classified?"

"Yea."

He nodded, and took off his helmet. I could see his brown hair, matching mine, with brown eyes. My eyes were hazel, a mixture of blue and brown. He looked much older than me, because of the time I was trapped inside of the Cryo Tube.

He smiled. "Let's go Spartan."

Internally, I squealed. Externally, I followed, no emotion other than a slight smile.

Then the asshole comes our way. The leader of the ODSTs, and the only one that was before us in the chain of command. First, he yelled about how we were freaks and that we were nothing, then he told us that we were going on a mission to get back Keyes later on. They had just triangulated the position, so we were going there next, after a few hours rest and all that. We got a room for ourselves, and I ate an MRE. I put on some better gear, slipping the coin into my boot sock. John, who was on the other side of the room, noticed.

"What was that?"

"It's a trinket from my home. It helps me remember where I came from, even though I'm not allowed to talk about it."

"Really?"

"Yea. I've kept it secret since I was four, when... Never mind. Anyway, your the first person to even notice it."

"Wow. By the way, do you know why they don't let you talk about your family?"

"Because from what I was told, you all don't know who your family is, so I'm not allowed to talk about it so that I don't mess with any of your conditioning."

"Makes sense. But if I were to find out without you telling me..?"

"Then I can't get in trouble. It's not my fault if you do though."

He laid down on his bunk with a slight smile. I laid down, and slept for a couple of hours, since I had been up for a while.

Boop. Now it's time for Truth and Reconciliation! And for Keyes to be an ass to another guy! HEHEHEH. Anyway, enjoy!