Chapter 4: To the Ring

Another 1000+ chapter. Enjoy. It took me forever to freaking write lol.

He called John up to the bridge while we were being boarded by enemies. I waited in anticipation, in my uniform. I kept as calm as possible, watching the space battle. We were losing.

John reported in, and we realized that Cortana had to get off the ship. I was told to stay with John, and he was given a pistol.

"Let's go."

I follwed behind, picking up a plasma pistol. I had extensive training with all the weapons we knew of for both humans and Covenant.

We started in the Mess hall, shooting two waves of grunts and elites. I picked up a dead marine's assault rifle, and began sending bursts into the heads of the enemies.

We went down a corridor to the nearest escape pods. We encountered an elite, which I quickly dispatched with a well placed headshot. We entered the area, finding two marines outside of the door. They were blasted away, and a boarding party came on board. We killed them off, finding two overshields inside of the craft. We picked them up, the extra energy charging Chief's shield, while I held the other. Unlike him, I didn't even have body armor. I was just wearing my fatigues.

The overshield wasn't heavy, it was just big. I kept my pistol in my other hand, placing head shots on anything that wasn't human. The next corridor had lost power to the lights, so we were stuck with Chief's headlamp, which wasn't that bright. He shot into the darkness, probably seeing a few things I couldn't with his HUD. I followed, keeping up with the hulking figure. We heard some gunfire, and saved a few marines battling for their lives. We entered a larger corridor, taking a few more out, and I threw the other overshield at Chief. He used it. I picked up some ammo for my guns, and caught up to him, as a plasma grenade went off in a smaller hall. I ran, seeing him kill the last grunt in that grouping.

"Let's go Beth." He impatiently said. I followed quickly behind, falling into line with him. We entered another area that was boarded, and I grabbed the other overshield again, holding it while he used the other. Why they always had two overshields inside of the craft and never used them, I had no clue.

We had to duck under a half-open blast door, and played a sort of shooting gallery with the aliens that appeared on the other side of the room. Admittedly, it was funny for me, since I could remember a day off of training where I went to a carnival on Reach. I remembered winning a stuffed bear for my incredible aim.

We found a stairwell to the next level, and I hung back while Chief took damage, and got fire while I sniped people with my pistol. I tossed him the overshield I carried, and he activated it, now able to take more damage. As we cleared that room, we headed up, trying to find another area for an escape pod.

The halls were darkened again, and I followed John's headlight, remembering some of my training- if fighting in the dark, find the angle from where they are firing and shoot. You'll hit them every time. I used this skill against a few grunts, hitting their gas masks, and causing them to die of asphyxiation. The lights in the distance made me feel more confident with my aim however.

I followed, and another lifeboat launched. Immediately, it was blown to bits by the Covie ships, making me frown. John motioned to the maintenance access ways, which I reluctantly followed. They had completely lost all regular power, so dim red lights lit our way. He navigated through them, lit by only a single headlight.

When we exited in the safest route, he bust open a jammed door, and we continued, sneak attacking when we could. It was the safest way through.

A coin fell out of my pocket. I quickly picked it up, and placed it in the material of my bra, keeping it safe. I couldn't lose that coin- I had kept it secret for so long from everyone...

It was John's coin. I had kept it all these years with me. When I was kidnapped, they didn't take if off of me. It was cryo frozen with me. And I always kept it close.

Anyway...

We were on the overlook of the cryo bay, and I could see that he had come out of the bay with its glass open to see. He passed by the consoles, but I noticed Linda was no longer showing up- she had been ejected. Maybe after all of this we could check if her cryo tube survived, meaning that she might be living too.

The next area was a burnt out husk of the ship, explosions everywhere. I cautiously stepped behind John, and fired when I could. I wasn't dying, or better yet, changing into the other form, which I had learned how to completely control, here. No. Instead I was going to stay safe since I had no freaking armor.

We entered a large hallway, and fought a few more covenant soldiers, nearby to yet another pod. A barricade was set up between us, the pod, and a few elites. Chief threw a grenade, and killed several while I used my last remaining bullets on the aliens. We jumped over, and ran inside to see one seat left.

"Ladies first." He told me.

"You sure?"

"Yes. I'll be fine."

"Okay sir."

I sat down, and strapped in. The other marines looked at me in suprise, since I seemed so young. John closed the door, and said, "Punch it," to the pilot.

A marine said, "Are we gonna make it sir? I don't wanna die out here."

"You'll be fine."

I nervously held on. John nodded confidently at me, and I smiled. The coin rested close to my heart now, and my stomach felt like it was going to burst. I closed my eyes, drowning out the noise and the other marines.

As we shakily entered the atmosphere, and had to brace for impact. I held on with all of my might, feeling my hardened scales creep up in the places I needed it to, to avoid injury.

But that didn't stop me from passing the fuck out. Luckily, my powers don't actually work/keep up when that happens.