Chapter 12: The Trial and A Regret

The MAC gun orbital station. A place run by the UNSC to help defend Earth. It was also a place where a group of ONI officers were looking at the data and records that were created over the time that we were missing. And, of course... They found out about John and Cortana finding out about my true identity. 

I was pulled immediately into a trial, where if I messed up... Goodbye Elizabeth. 

Why did this remind me of something I watched in my off time... A show called Danganronpa?

(A/N YES I KNOW. I'M SORRY FOR BRINGING IT UP ITS A GOOD SERIES OKAY)

"Elizabeth. You stand here on trial for disobeying orders and allowing John-117 to know your identity."

"Sir, if I may interject?" I said. 

"What Elizabeth?"

"Thank you sir. I must ask you to listen, as I was told something else. My orders, as I was told, were not to stop him from learning my identity. It was to not tell him anything myself. I have no control over what John-117 or Cortana do."

"She is correct sir." My aide, who had also looked at my and Keyes logs, said.

"Alright, so the facts are skewed then. The prosecutors all gave me evidence that you broke an order that was not true. Prosecutor?"

"We didn't know that Keyes had logged the rule..."

"You didn't think to check from one of the biggest sources?"

"No."

"Elizabeth? There is one question I must ask. How did Cortana and John come to want to find out more about you?"

I paused, and thought. I was on trial here, but the truth would probably be best. 

"Sir, may I speak freely?"

"Yes."

"Thank you sir." I paused, and breathed in and out deeply. Smiling,  and looking over at the prosecutors, knowing that as soon as I said something, they were going to be scrambling to kick me to the curb. 

"I did what I was told. When asked where I was from, and other questions like that, I told them that it was classified, and I wasn't allowed to talk about it because I wasn't supposed to tell them. After we crashed on Halo, I had to dodge questions and told him vague information to keep John-117 from finding my identity. It only made his curiosity, and Cortana's, grow. I was not trying to make them think about it, but they decided to find out anyway."

"So you put subtle hints to try and get them to find out about you?!"

"No, actually. I wasn't even going to tell him. Ever. If he didn't look at the information himself, he wouldn't have ever known."

A recording played from John's camera.

"I can't tell you Chief, I'm sorry."

"Why?"

"Because I can't."

The video ended, and the judge looked at me. "I can see what you mean. Now there is the problem of you staying on his team with the conflict of interest."

I nodded, and was escorted out of the room. Heading back to my room, John was waiting there for me. 

"I heard it went well." Cortana said from a nearby holo-projector. 

"Yeah. I'm not in trouble, but they might split us up."

"What?" John said, facing me. His face was contorted into one of anger.