Bonus 2- Kate and Elizabeth, Staging Area

A/N- Yo. Be ready for Kate's backstory. It's quite... A doozy. And then I'll have something cute afterwards :D
"Hey Elizabeth? Can I talk to you?"

I turned to face Kate from the map we were using of where the Guardians were. John waved us off, and so I followed her to a corner.

"What's wrong Kate?"

The other girl sighed, a tear falling from her face. "I miss Star, and I realized that we're really going to end up dead, maybe. And I don't want to hide anything from you or the team anymore. Admittedly, it's difficult for me to talk to anyone else, so I wanted to at least tell you."

"Okay. Don't worry. As long as I'm here, I'll tell your story if we need to. It's alright."

"Okay... Okay... I feel so much better..."

She sat down with me, and I listened intently.

KATE'S STORY
She wished it didn't matter, but it did. She was born on a rogue world, where the black market was stronger than the UNSC presence, and slums were common. She was motherless, as she died from Kate's birth.

She was abused physically and sexually by her father, and her uncle, requiring an abortion at nine.

At school, after the age of 10, she was noticed by teachers to have poor hygiene and no clothing. She was also always at the school, living homeless and alone.

She was adopted by her sixth grade biology teacher, Sara. She had broken down to the teacher, who offered her home to the child.

Finding a love for biology because of her adopted mother, she became distant to anyone else, and studied hard. Sara tried to help her because she was bullied as well.

Kate tried ending her life several times, but was comforted by Sara into living. Instead of focusing on Xenobiology and medicinal herb research. She was well versed in medicine, and started working for the UNSC after finishing high school.

She was a part of a failed operation called Operation Take Back, one of two survivors. Left with nothing, except haunted memories and scars, since Sara had died of a botched surgery due to cancer, she decided to risk her life in Project Songbird.

End of the story.

"And, you know the funniest part?" She was crying.

"Kate..."

"I got these powers. Super human speed. So I can do what? Run from my problems? Why the hell did I live?"

I wrapped my arms around the girl, trying to comfort her. She pushed my arms to the side, but traced her hands down my arms and held my wrists.

"And you know what?  I even got a stupid high-school style crush on you of all people. On my team leader!" She stopped, realizing what she just said. Beginning to get up after letting go, I gripped her wrist.

"Kate."

"I'm... I need to go."

"Kate. Stay here."

"Why? So you can reject me like everyone else does?" She was irrational, overcome with emotion.

"So I can give you a hug."

She stopped trying to move out of my grip. Slowly, she turned.

"W-What?"

I pulled her down to my level, hugging her. She started bawling, gripping to the back of my shirt.

"It's okay Kate. It's all okay..."

"A-Are you sure?"

"Yes. Please, just let me comfort you for a little while."

Malcolm came around the corner, and I sent him sign language that said I need some time alone with Kate. He was probably worried since we left in a hurry.

"Thank you..."

"Hey, look at me."

Her puffy hazel and grey eyes met mine, and I felt something I hadn't felt in my heart before. It was an ache, seeing her hurt. I had felt familial love, which I recognized, but... This was different.

Was this what people meant by love at first sight? I mean, it wasn't really first sight, but it was the first time I had really looked into her eyes, seen her vulnerable and for who she really was.

She wasn't as enigmatic anymore.

"Elizabeth?"

I realized I had moved closer, causing her face to become red. I leaned in further, kissing the girl.

She pulled back immediately, in shock and confused.

"I... I didn't..."

"It's okay Kate." I responded, the feeling spreading through my body like fire. I realized I really did love this girl.

"Elizabeth... I'm sorry."

"For what?"

"Being so teary eyed."

"Don't be. I'm here to make you feel better, okay?"

"Yeah."

"I just... I had no idea."

"About?"

"You. And I'm finally seeing your true colors too. You're... Really cute actually."

The girl blushed, and smiled. "I-I guess. Thank you!" She threw her arms around me, kissing my cheek. I held her close, and felt comfortable with her nearby.

"We'll both get through this. Our stories will be told together."

"We'll be together."

"Exactly."

I kissed her cheek, heading back to John, Arbiter, and the others. Faith gave me a look, and I rolled my eyes at her.

Let's hope that it's alright with John that I've fallen for Kate...