Chapter 2: Waking Up

2542- Reach

I woke up, now in a bed. I looked at the clock on the wall, along with the calendar. It was years later, and yet I still looked about eight. I looked up at someone entering the room. Another woman.

"Hello. I'm Doctor Catherine Halsey. Nice to meet you. I'm guessing your really confused... Right?"

"Y-Yea. Is the date correct?" I pointed at the calendar.

She nodded. "Yes. It's correct. You've been in cryo for a long time, and didn't age because of something they put in the mixture. We couldn't thaw you for a long time, because it wouldn't unlock. But here you are..."

"Are you from the UNSC?"

"Yes. I'm a civilian scientist that works with ONI on secret projects. Like you. At least, that's what they like to say about you."

"Can... Can you tell me what happened to my family?"

"Your... Elizabeth Doe. Right...?"

"Yes." I said, now beginning to get up. Halsey put a set of clothes nearby.

"Okay. Meet me in the lab, second door on the right as you exit. The wall is glass so you should see it. I'll explain everything that's happened while you are gone, and what the military has planned... Since... Well you'll find out."

"Okay."

She left, and I got dressed, in a grey shirt and camo pants, with black boots and a sweatshirt. I saw what she meant, as soon as I stepped out of the room, by having glass walls. Other than my room, the rest of the rooms were glass laboratories, the second one on the right holding a smaller lab, with an examination table. I slowly moved inside, and Halsey came out of the back, sipping coffee.

"Hello." I said.

"Hello. Do you want some food?"

I felt hungry. It was like whatever I had eaten before was completely flushed out of my system. "Yes please."

She brought out a cup of noodles, and I slowly ate it, feeling the food drop into my stomach. It was better than nothing.

"The food here is better, I just wanted to make sure you had something."

"Thank you."

"Your welcome. Now, about your parents... They died when a new enemy came into the light. An alien coalition known as the Covenant."

She told me about the Spartan program, which she was the head of. I squinted, and my eyes widened. I recognized her. "Your the woman that gave John the coin..."

"What?"

"I remember now. You came to the playground, and I watched you ask him questions. Then he came back to show me the coin after you left."

"Wait... You know John?"

"Yes! He's my older brother."

"Older... Oh.... I got a report that you knew it wasn't really John. I didn't know you saw me that day. Interesting..."

"What? Wait... Is he okay? If your the head of it-"

"He's fine. Don't worry. He's been working hard as a Spartan in ground combat, and is the leader of his class. All I ask, that if you see him again, that you do not tell him your his sister. It's going to ruin the conditioning that he has been put through to become such a lethal warrior."

"O-Okay..."

She sighed, and looked away. "I'm really sorry."

I smiled weakly. "It's okay. I understand. Now... What role do I play in everything?"