Chapter 19: Bittersweet Reunions

Over comms, I began to hear speech from all over. The clearest was a female synthesized voice I immediately recognized. 

"Cortana. This is leader of Team Zeta, Captain Elizabeth Doe. Do you read?"

"Yes, I read. I am trying to triangulate your position now."

My team moved to the entrances of the detached barracks, and took up positions while I stayed hunkered down between two bunks. I was communications, primarily. 

"Position triangulated. We are headed your way."

"Good. This is Captain Del Rio, and I'm calling to make sure you get the Captain and her team back onto Infinity. Star is needed for repairs and the Captain is unfit for battle at the moment."

I groaned. Of course he would mention that.

The door opened, and John stepped inside. He looked around, and straight at me. 

"John..." I was quiet. It was surreal, seeing him again. Star pushed me closer, and he kneeled in front of me. 

"What the hell happened?"

"They made her human again. The other DNA is still inside her, but completely disconnected, so she's left paralyzed again." Kate replied, maintaining her gaze outside of the doors. 

"And her arm?"

"Shot while defending Arbiter." I replied this time. I showed him the treasure- a necklace with a gem hanging from it, which was glowing slightly. I wore it under my shirt, like keeping close a good friend. 

"Alright. We need to start heading back to Infinity. Ready?"

"Team Zeta! Form UP!"

They all nodded, and formed a protective barrier around myself and Star. 

"Well, looks like you've got this down."

"You haven't seen anything yet." I replied. The wheelchair was transformed into a hovering vehicle, and Star kept it moving while we began going further and helping other groups in the dense jungle. I had several items stored in a small bag that were valuable- from my helmet to secret data about the team members, etc. 

I sat up slightly as we began moving through the jungle, past strange machines that were obviously forerunner and covenant forces alike. Malcolm dragged behind a bit, and Kate was our recon at the front. She was faster than John even. 

"So, you're team seems interesting."

"Yes. All genetic variants, myself, and Star. It's quite fun."

He squeezed my good shoulder a little, compassion and worry bundled up in the unwavering emotionless state of his. He was effective in battle, yes, but he still cared deeply for those he was close to. I was even directed to have him join our team. 

"Hey John?"

"Yes?"

"I was told if you ended up alive and well, you would join your team, but your team would work with mine exclusively."

"So basically Blue Team, if it ever came back, would be a part of Team Zeta?"

"Sort of. They're trying to make me a director of a new task force with Spartans prior to Mark 4 and genetic variants. It would be called Project Gem."

"So you wouldn't go on missions anymore?"

I chuckled. "I really can't at this point. I mean, look at me. I'm wheelchair bound still."

He seemed upset by that. "Well, I'm bringing you along for missions while we're here."

I gave him a look. "John, as much as you want to-"