Chapter 16: The End of the Old Covenant

I decided on what I'm going to have happen in the 4 years and 7 months that John is in the Forward Unto Dawn

Let's just say that its torturous.

So! Onto the first of the last two parts about the first 3 games! Let it begin XD

After dropping down, we headed toward the cartographer to find out where exactly we were headed, since it was probably important that we knew where the Prophet was. I guessed that was  probably somewhere secure. Arbiter and I broke off from John, since he was securing an LZ for the Forward Unto Dawn. When he joined us, it was halfway to the cartographer. 

"Hey Elizabeth."

"Yeah?"

"Another question. On your file it said that you had special allowances when it came to rank and such. Why?" 

I sighed, and creeped along next to him. It was... Unfortunate. "My mind was effected by being in cryo so long. Instead of allowing it to age, the cryo froze it in the same place, so the connections that were firing allowed me to retain my memories, but it destroyed parts that were more... important. Some self control, specifically with emotions, was completely lost. I can't control everything I do.  And it limited some of my intelligence with survival and such. It's why they allowed me to have the rank and some leeway."

"So basically you're mentally damaged?"

"Yep. All because I was trapped in cryo for so long. It hurts you... And can kill. It's lucky that I even survived with my mind intact, but it's probably because of the modifications."

His shoulders slumped a little. He probably didn't want to hear his sister had brain damage from an injury that he couldn't stop. Hell, I'm sure he hated that I was even tortured in the first place. But I digress. 

We had made it to the cartographer. Finally... Until they bombarded us and we had to evac to a Hornet. Arbiter was picked up, and I flew next to John in his hornet, doing what damage I could. 

We were tasked with deactivating the first of the structures that kept us from the Prophet. He had holed up in a central chamber that was covered in a force field with external power sources. Taking out three actually would cause a hole in the barrier, allowing us inside. Arbiter and Johnson were tasked with taking out the other two, so I wasn't worried. John and I rushed to the top, and he pressed the button down. 

The first two deactivated, but the third stayed lit- Johnson was having trouble. We rushed to go help him, meeting back up with Arbiter. 

"God dammit Johnson..." I muttered, my translator turned off. He needed to be okay, since he had become the closest thing to a family member other than John to me. We didn't make it in time to save him, but we at least could move on and stop the Prophet. 

The Flood landed shortly after.  They came in drop pods, which pissed me off because one landed right above us. We had to escape, and unlike John I could fly. 

"Get out of here. Get back to Miranda."

"But John!" I replied with the translator. He didn't let me answer, and instead picked me up and threw me off the cliff. I quickly reacted, and he was already gone by the time I made my way back. Groaning, I flew back over to the Forward Unto Dawn to see Miranda leaving. 

"Stay here Elizabeth."

"No! I'm not gonna be left out!"

She sighed, and I rode with her on a pelican to go get back Johnson. 

We arrived right before John. Miranda went out first, and despite the odds was brave and faced the stupid brutes.

I stood next to her, baring my teeth. 

And they skewered her in the back as she raised her weapon to kill herself and Johnson to avoid the rings being activated. I roared in anger, blind rage making me jump at the brute behind her. He couldn't stop me, but two other brutes pulled me off the one and forced me to yelp from the pressure placed on my back. 

"Miranda! Elizabeth!" Johnson was distressed, and the hand that forced him to activate the rings was right there. I was stuck, unable to stop anything- I wasn't sure I could.

"Elizabeth? That name... OH! You were that reclaimer girl with the other called Master Chief! How did you become that creature..?" 343 Guilty Spark asked.

I growled, and reached to turn off my translator. I wasn't able to.

"A girl? The other demon that can change form... Ah, yes. I remember hearing about her. Kill her too." The Prophet replied. 

"Not if I can help it." John appeared with the Arbiter moments later, and he kicked the two Brute's asses that were stepping on me. I got up, and shook it off, instead going over to the dead Miranda. 

"Why..."

John and Arbiter both dealt with the threats of the Prophet and the Halo rings while I made sure that Johnson was okay and that he had Miranda's corpse for proper burial. He was mentally drained, so I helped Johnson further with the ship. 

John and Arbiter jump onto the pelican, as the Gravemind begins to intertwine his tentacles into everything. They fall off, so I look back at Johnson, smile, and fly back to them to help get them both out of the area. 

We headed back, as Johnson tried to find a way to get myself and John, and Arbiter, out of there. After finishing off the flood, we headed downstairs, where John just started... Walking. It seemed strange. 

"Hey John?" I called. He seemed... Out of it. 

He opened a door, and we watched a partially constructed ring float up. 

"Well shit."

John knew, somehow, that 343 Guilty Spark, the little asshole orb, was behind us. 

"When did you know?"

"Just now..." It said in its little robotic voice. 

After meeting back up with Johnson, we made a plan on how to destroy the ark and the infestation. 

Activate the partially created Halo. 

But first... We needed Cortana back with us.

Wow this one is short compared to normal. I will be referencing the books for time between 3 and 4 so just FYI. Plus... Something bad is going to happen soon... Yes... Torturing my characters is oh so FUN. XD