Chapter 13: Delta

A/N Prepare for a really long chapter lol. I was just writing and I realized it was almost 1500 words, and I had a lot to write for this one, since I want to get to the (SPOILERS*) Gravemind (*SPOILERS) next chapter. So.... Enjoy? It's really long lol. 

I drove, avoiding obstacles along the coastline. As good as John was at driving, I enjoyed it more, taking more risks and being an asset from how random it was. Leaping off of a cement piece that was from the wall of the highway, we sailed onto asphalt, bouncing from the Warthog's suspension. I whooped, and John seemed to shake his head, his helmet showing no emotion to pull context from. 

Driving along, and wheeling around the various covenant checkpoints, we finally made it to an area under the bridge. Careening around a blast from above from the Scarab, we hurried to catch vehicle transport machines that the covenant had going towards where some of the UNSC had holed up. After stopping that advance, it was time for us to join the ranks of the people above on the bridge. 

Johnson, in his over-the-top fashion, came down on a pelican with a Scorpion Tank. I giggled, seeing it up close. I hadn't had the chance before, so I was extremely excited. 

"Ready to use it Chief?" Johnson asked John. I stayed to the side, and smiled as usual. 

"Thanks Johnson."

"And Elizabeth!"

I perked up, and looked at him "Yeah?"

"I got you a present too!" He threw me a rocket launcher, which I caught with one hand. I put away my weapon, which was the sword-pistol, and smiled. 

"Star told me to give it to you. It apparently runs on the same stuff as your other weapons, but uses it up more quickly. Have fun!"

My smile became wider, and eyes widened. I was so excited to use this thing on the bridge. Taking a seat on the side of the Scorpion, John jumped inside. 

"Ready John?"

"Ready."

Three others joined us, and I kept my balance as I positioned my shots carefully. While I wasn't the best shot with explosive weapons such as this or grenade launchers, I tried my best. It was lucky it ran on the same ammunition I had been using, since I needed a lot as I failed to hit my marks time and time again. I tried though, and that's what counted. 

After leaving the scorpion behind, since we had entered an underground area where it couldn't pass through, I slung the rocket launcher on my back and swapped it for my sniper. Taking shots from every available piece of cover, I took down as many covenant as I could. 

"Dammit..." I cursed under my breath, feeling like I wasn't contributing enough. I was at least trying though. It was more difficult to get shots off in this area, especially with all of the available cover, and two levels. I jumped up to the second level, grabbing it with my open hand and swinging myself up. I really was too short for the terrain. After  sneaking into a sewer, we exited and I came up behind a jackal, butting his head with my weapon. Instantly killing him, I took the sniper's perch and continued to shoot as John made a distraction, taking over the warthog that was going around. I got down, joining him by taking a nearby Ghost. Through two pillars in the cordoned off area, there was a path leading to a large fountain, and two Wraiths, which I took down with John's help. We had finally made it to the city center, and the area for us to jump ship and stop that Scarab. 

John ran up the stairs to the building we were coordinating the attack. Quickly, I joined him, but I did run out of breath on the way. From there, we headed further up to a concourse system, linking buildings by metal bridges. 

"Hey John? Do you think we could jump onto it from here and blast them while it's moving to the spot? That way they can't hurt our pelicans."

"Good idea. Hold on." He grabbed my waist, and as it passed beneath us, jumped onto the top.