Chapter 7: The Map Room

We began to prep for the next mission, and were briefed on the way to the secluded island. I had the two swords, the partially charged one more easily available, on my hip. The sniper rifle sat on my back, and a pistol sat on my opposite hip from the energy swords. I held an assault rifle, ready to be deployed into a hot zone.

We dropped, guns blazing. I placed a good few bursts, and ran up with John. A pelican dropped a warthog, and we got in, my assault rifle in my hands. We went into the area where the Map room was, but by the time we got there, they had figured out how to lock the door, and I frustratedly frowned. Composed, John took my shoulder, and said, "Don't worry."

"Thanks. Now let's find a way inside."

Cortana's voice entered my comms. "I'm on it. It's taking a minute. Just wait outside."

We headed back up, and I sat, taking in the salty air. Covenant weren't on the prowl, and we had secured the area, so we didn't really have to worry.

"It reminds me of parts of Reach while I was training..."

"You were on Reach?"

"Yes."

He smiled. "While I was in training, that's where we were."

"That's awesome!"

We heard a beep, so we put back on our helmets, since we had taken them off while we waited. I was smiling in my suit. I had known, from Halsey, that the same place I trained where was where he did.

Cortana said, "Head left on the beach, and head towards the center of the island you two. Got it?"

We acknowledged, and started off in the warthog. We found a way up, covered with Covies. Slowly, we made our way up, clearing the area. We came into a dish-like area, with two hunters. My stomach became queasy, but settled once we killed them and moved on.

Back down, and to a cliff, where we entered another structure. There was three over shields, two of which we used. We walked inside, and there was two more Hunters, and dozens of storage boxes. Despite my queasy stomach coming back, I fought through the pain and we killed them. We finally made it to the security system, and turned it off, opening the door.

We hurried back, looting a downed pelican for its supplies. I found more ammo, and packed it away. My shield, which I had John show me how to activate and deactivate it, was only partially charged now, and we didn't exactly know how to recharge it. I hoped soon enough I'd get a new one, just in case. It helped to have, because the shields on Linda's suit were somewhat unreliable, much like John's.

After arriving, we entered the structure, finding a long and complicated path down to the map room. We fought many covenant on our way, finding it tedious and sort of boring after a while. I sighed, and kept moving on, following John.

We finally made it, and I watched as Cortana accessed the system, and found where we were supposed to go. She called Foehammer, and we fought our way up, finally ending with two more Hunters. Queasy feeling aside, I could survive.

We got inside of the pelican, and headed down a large tunnel structure beneath the ring. Both John and I rested, trying to relax before getting back into the fight.

Shorter chapter for a shorter level... I never really liked this level anyway lol