Chapter 11: Command and Capture

I woke up to yelling. I turned around in my chair, taking off the helmet, and setting it down. John was interrogating... Johnson? I thought he was dead!

"Hey! Chief! Stop!" I said, walking over.

"He's supposed-"

"I know that. But interrogation doesn't help."

He set the man down, and I took Johnson to the side.

"How are you? I mean, we saw on a tape you got attacked by... Well... The parasitic aliens."

"I'm surprised I'm alive. But I'm here. And I see you guys blew up the ring?"

"Yea... It took a lot of time and effort."

"What happened to Linda's suit?"

I hadn't prepared a response to this situation. I sat back from where we were talking, and smiled. I thought of something.

"Well, we had to get into a really tight spot to get what we needed to blow up the Pillar of Autumn, so I stepped out of the suit since I was smaller. Then we got attacked, so I had to leave the suit behind. It was probably destroyed in the explosion."

Good on me for coming up with that lie. John overheard me, and I could see him smirk a bit, knowing my ass was covered.

"Wow, so the suit gets bulky sometimes?"

"Yea. I don't understand how Chief can wear it all the time, it's stuffy too!"

I looked over at him, and he rolled his eyes. I giggled.

"So, what happened to you after the whole, uh, alien thing?" I asked.

"I was picked up by these guys, and we left the ring. There was no doubt in my mind about it, since Alpha base was destroyed, and we had heard the explosion."

"Well, at least you're alive!" I said, giving him a smile. He smiled back, and said, "You too."

After that, with the other survivors, we made a plan to steal one of the covenant ships. John had the idea of stealing their flagship, which was all good with me. I was in the Longsword again, riding with John. I never drove, unless it was needed. Probably an age and experience thing. I didn't mind.

We prepared a plan beforehand, and used the gravity of the moon to slingshot right into the hanger of the flagship. Taking it quietly, we made it to the bridge where several 'Engineer' aliens waited. They made sure that Chief's armor was at its peak, and I looked at them, wondering. They seemed kind, especially after we took off the bomb collars strapped to them. The one ONI officer decided it was a good idea to open the air locks with the other areas of the ship, and we were left in a storehouse of weapons, dead covenant, etc.

I walked around the air filled compartments afterwards, while we were in a jump to Reach. One of the Engineers floated near me, since I had made friends with it, and refused to let the ONI officer shoot the alien. It seemed to like my company, despite always wanting to tinker with everything.

"Hey, buddy... You can tinker with anything on the ship now." I said, smiling up at the creature. It nodded, and took a gun off of a dead covenant elite, taking it apart and putting it back together. The floating, bloated body of the engineer looked similar to the Flood in all but color, but had a cute aspect to their look. I pet its head, and left the little cutie be. I walked back to the control room, where John was leaning on the wall, listening to the bickering between Johnson and the ONI officer. I leaned on the wall next to him, and sighed. He looked at me, and motioned to leave the room.

I followed, and he took off his helmet, turning toward me with a small smile.

"What's up?'

"Cortana told me some of the information she could find about you. It seems the encryption over your file is incredibly difficult, even for her, to decipher."