Chapter 8: The Control Room

We landed on a small ledge area, where there was some Covies that came to meet us. Quickly, we dispatched them, and we entered. I followed behind into the circular room, where we split up and killed the Covies in the room.

"There's a lot of them." I said.

"There's a much larger Covenant presence than I anticipated..." Cortana replied.

I sighed, and smiled. "Well, at least we can keep some sort of stealth, right?"

John nodded, as we entered another door. Through the hall, we entered the cold, a bridge with sleeping grunt soldiers. I broke their gas masks silently, causing asphyxiation.

After getting across the bridge as silently as possible, we entered the next area. It was another circular room, with two Hunters inside. After dispatching them, and letting my queasy stomach settle, we rode an elevator down to the next lower level. Another circular room, and more Covenant to kill.

These structures are REALLY REPETITIVE.

Finally, we outside on an ice patch. We quickly dispatched the nearby Shade, and several of the incoming Covies. I saw a nearby Ghost, and ran for it, jumping inside and beginning to use it around. John jumped on, and started shooting, holding on with one hand and shooting his assault rifle with the other. It was pretty impressive, and we completely destroyed the remaining foes.

Two troopers were in the corner, with a rolled over warthog and some weapons. Chief and I took some ammo, and he flipped over the hog, having the marines get inside the side and gunner seats. I remained inside of the ghost, and sped ahead of them, to take out people while they came forward. John said over squad comms, "Beth, don't go too far away from us."

"Alright! Don't worry!"

We drove on, and found a TANK. A SCORPION TANK.

I was excited. I stayed in the ghost, while the marines and John moved into the tank. There was more marines where we found the tank top, so they joined our little convoy. It seemed like the Commander-idiot-decided that he was gonna check out this area.

Stealth was out the window. But that was okay. I had a ghost, and John had a TANK.

We passed a downed pelican, and restocked, making sure we had full ammo. I briefly thought about who we had lost, and breathed a small thank you to them.  I walked back to my ghost, and continued on, as a sort of scout.

After a battle with a Wraith, we entered a large tunnel structure, that we maneuvered with the tank. I opened the doors, the panels strangely easy to use.

We passed over an underground bridge, inside of a large room. After we finished off the Covenant, I stared around the large room. It was strange how everything just seemed to fit into place... It was unusual for me, with all of my bad luck, to have such good happen.

Maybe it was the effect of having my brother back in my life, however differently. He was always the lucky one... Always...

We went back into the cold, and I recognized one of the marines as I passed by. JOHNSON!

"Hey! How are you doing Spartan?" He asked me.

"Good!"

"That's good! So your Elizabeth, the newbie?"

"Yes."

We chatted for a moment, and then got back into combat. We had a large rock in the center of the valley, so I went one way and he went the other... And I met with some hunters.

After quickly dispatching them, I took off my helmet, and vomited into the snow. I wiped my mouth, and breathed the cold air. The taste wouldn't leave my mouth. I breathed in, and out, and put my helmet back on.