Chapter 9: The Captain's Mistake

We trudged through the muck, my pistol out. We silently made our way around, and I adjusted the medium sized canister at my back. It was in case anything went horribly wrong...

Anyway, we walked toward a structure dug into the earth, and travelled down the elevator. Fighting minimal resistance, we made it down... And when he opened the door, the corpse of s marine fell out. I backed into the room that had just opened, and he laid down the body. Blood was everywhere. John picked up an empty helmet, and played the camera recording. It showed in the corner of my helmet, so I could see what was going on.

The squad, consisting of the captain, Johnson, and several others, was attacked by strange fleshy creatures, that I had never seen before. What was strange was how they detailed the destruction of elite forces, before they were attacked. I guessed that maybe it was from that?

I looked up, and around. Noises all around us. I narrowed my eyes. This could be really bad...

I was attacked from behind. One shot, and a kill, after my armor was damaged. I turned to see more coming, and shot. There were a lot of these smaller life forms, and they all seemed intent on swarming their enemies. John and I shot, and tried our best to keep each other safe.

But my bad luck just had to kick in, didn't it?

I fell, gripped by three of them at once. They ripped off my back panel, and began to dig into my skin, causing the automatic response from my body to create scales, which seemed to not allow these creatures to pass through. Again and again they tried, and more piled on. Eventually, I changed completely over.

I was now a beast. A creature, black scales covering my dragon-like body.

I tore out of the waves of flesh, and began to rip them to shreds, the larger ones more tough, but also weaker than paper to my claws. I saw the canister, and my weapons belt, and picked them up with my teeth, holding them in my mouth. I was lucky that my sniper rifle was attached. I felt bad though- Linda's armor wasn't getting fixed anytime soon.

I looked at John, who had already left. I bounded toward him, and he shot at me, which I quickly dodged. At a resting point, while the flood of life forms ceased, I dropped the gear before him, since even when he shot, the bullets couldn't go through the scaly armor.

"What?" He said. I motioned to the canister. It held clothes, and a note on top. It read,

"If your with me when I change, I'm really sorry for scaring you. Basically, this is what's going on. I have the power to change between being human and the beast before you. No, I don't have a choice when I'm on the edge, like I probably just was. So yeah. Anyway, the canister is filled with clothes and stuff I'll need when I change back. If you would kindly seal it again, I can hold it on my back, I just need some help. If I have anything else, then I can also carry that too, I'll just need help."

It was signed with my code, Elizabeth-268. He looked up at me, and I shrugged.

"So your... Elizabeth?"

I nodded.

"You can't talk can you?"

I shook my head no.

"Alright. We'll... Talk about this more later. I'm putting the note back in here. And..."

He put the canister, as well as the weapons belt, on my back. I stretched my wings, and smiled.

He was DEFINITELY ASKING CORTANA WHAT WAS HAPPENING after all of this.

I bounded ahead, destroying the forms with the swipes of my claws. I refused to bite them. They all probably tasted terrible anyway.

When we made it back to the elevator, I could hear the sounds of battle outside the door we came through to the outside. I looked at John.

"People aren't supposed to know about... This... Are they?"

I shook my head no.

He sighed, and said, "Sneak around the side. You can probably get around to avoid being seen."

We went outside, and to another structure, this one more like pipes. I stared at a small, glowing blue ball. John approached it, and I followed close, partially wrapped around him.

"Oh!" The blue ball exclaimed. "I am 343 Guilty Spark, and you both seem like exactly what I need to get the Index!"

I felt a lifting sensation, and found we were being teleported to another area. When we landed, I saw a few of those things running toward us, so I slashed at them- like tearing paper.

John barely had to use his ammo, as I defended him in this form. As much as I hated it, with these... Things... It was incredibly useful. As we went through hallways, tall but lengthy corridors, I continued using my power.

As we came toward the end, I was tired. I walked, alongside John.

"You okay?"

I shook my head no.

"Tired?"

I shook my head in a yes.

"Don't worry. We're gonna be able to rest soon. I'm guessing you use energy a lot faster in this form."

Another nod yes.

I pushed on. I needed to continue. I remembered that there was something to help me in this situation. I motioned toward the pack, and he found a food bar, labeled "FOR WHILE STILL CREATURE"

"I'm guessing you want me to give this to you?"

I nodded. He unwrapped the energy bar, and I ate it, feeling the mixture of drugs and food quickly entering my body, and giving me a renewed energy.

"All good?"

I nodded again.

As soon as he grabbed the Index, we were teleported back to the Control room, where I sat down. I didn't change back quite yet. The Flood, as I had found out it was called, would still be out there.

Cortana stared at me for a second, then ranted how bad of an idea this was. I knew she would figure out what had happened to me quite quickly. We found out that the Halo was a weapon of mass destruction that we really couldn't, and shouldn't, use.

We had to run, and had to figure out a way to destroy it.

Cortana had a good idea that John told me about- we would go to the Truth and Reconciliation, which was where Keyes Neural Lace was, and take it, or the codes, to get into the self destruct sequence of the Pillar of Autumn.

I MASHED TOGETHER 343 GUILTY SPARK AND THE LIBRARY BECAUSE THE FLOOD IS CRAZY AND THE LEVELS ARE REPETITIVE WITH WHERE YOU GO. So yea. Plus backtracking is a bore, even with a freaking dragon on your side. I thought it would be interesting to bring that in for the last few levels/areas for the story. JOHN'S GONNA ASK WHATS GOING ON AND SHE CANT REALLY TALK ABOUT IT WITHOUT MENTIONING HER OLD LIFE CAN SHE HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE.... Anyway back to sane author... I wrote over 1000 words again with this one... I really need to stop but I won't until I'm done with at least the first part (aka the first game :P) BE PREPPED FOR A LONG 10TH CHAPTER BECAUSE IM MASHING THE LAST TWO LEVELS BECAUSE FLOOD AND CONTENT AND YEA.