Oh Brother...

I'm dedicating this chapter to @patlovestoread because she has been super supportive and almost always comments! Love you! Here's the next chapter!

Kaylee's P.O.V.

The second half of the year passed by just as quickly as the first half, and soon enough I found myself lying on my bed one warm May night, studying for my finals, instead of enjoying the lovely weather outside.

I gazed sadly out the window, watching as children rode up and down the streets on their bikes and scooters, before turning with a sigh, back to my notes.

I tried to concentrate on my Chemistry notes, but I was finding it increasingly difficult as the clock ticked over in the corner. 

"TICK, TOCK, TICK, TOCK, TICK, TOCK," It called at me mockingly. I rolled over onto my back with a groan. Great, now I was getting mad at a clock.

With a sigh, I climbed to my feet and headed down the stairs in search of some tea. My spring allergies were really getting to me.

I walked over into the kitchen, my step with barely any limp in it anymore. The doctor told me that it would eventually fade away also.

I started up the Keurig and slid a mug under it, before pressing the button for more hot water.

As I slid the teabag in, I heard the front door unlock. Instantly my senses and worries heightened. I knew Shaun was upstairs studying because I could hear his music playing, and Johnny was up in the living room watching a movie. This was a safe neighborhood, but nobody else who lived in a town had a key to the house, and there was no way my parents would be back yet.

I quickly reached over and grabbed the biggest knife we owned that I used for cutting meat, and silently crept over to the doorway.

I heard the front door open and close, making my heart pump loudly in my chest. Taking a deep breath, I jumped around the corner the knife held out in front of me.

"Jesus Christ Kaylee!"

My hands went limp as I looked, astounded, upon the person in front of me. Perfectly styled blond hair, big blue eyes, and straight white teeth stared back at me.

"Carter? What are you doing here?"

My older brother looked uncertainly at the knife still held out in front of and then at my face saying, "Well, I would tell you, but the fact that you're pointing a fucking huge knife at me makes me unsure whether or not I want to speak."

I quickly set the knife down on the entrance table and turned back to Carter.

Carter and I were very close when I was little, before mom and dad left. We had been as close as Savannah and I had been.

Just as Carter had turned into a rebellious teenager my parents got big heads about their company, and for a lack of better words, turned into complete business asses.

Carter got into huge fights with them, and as soon as he turned 18 left for good. I had only seen him on and off the last three years and I was 14 when he left.

I walked quickly over to him and gave him a big hug saying, "It's been awhile since you last stopped by to visit."

He grinned and said, "Well, yeah, I was busy exploring Asia." I rolled my eyes at the word "exploring" knowing that it basically meant he went looking for the hottest girls there. And he had no trouble attracting them whatsoever either.

He then pulled away and his face grew serious. "Where's the guy?"

"Wha-oh, you mean Shaun and Johnny?"