To Lose Control

Jessie's P.O.V.

A call came through on my phone and I jerked up in my bed. It was about midnight and I was half asleep.  

I fumbled with my phone, and without even bothering to check who it was I picked up. "Hello?" I asked my voice coming out a bit hoarse. 

The voice on the other end of the line said, "Kaylee is in the hospital." I bolted out of my bed. I slipped on my moccasins and ran down the stairs. "What happened?" I demanded as I jammed my keys into the car. I pulled out of the driveway, the phone still to my ear.  

"I'm not really sure," the voice said, "All I know is Shaun just called me and told me to call and tell you. I'm on my way there." I nodded then said, "Okay, I'll meet you there." Then I hung up on Cameron.  

I soon pulled into the hospital and searched in frustration for a parking spot. I finally found one and jumped out of my car the second I turned the engine off. As I ran in I locked it behind me. I sprinted through the front door and slid into something hard. It steadied me and I looked up to see Cameron with a serious expression on his face. "Where is she?" I asked breathlessly. He didn't say anything but took my elbow and led me towards the elevator with a quick nod to the lady at the front desk. We climbed in and I paced nervously as we slid up to the fourth floor.  

Cameron then led me down the hallways. Finally Shaun came into view. He was sitting on a bench outside of a room and something was clutched in between his hands. On his hands were white bandages. 

"Where is she?" I asked Shaun worriedly. He stowed whatever was in his hands into his pocket. Then he pointed at the window behind him. His face was white and he was shaking slightly. I ran up to the window and looked through. I clutched at the window, trying to get in when I saw what was inside. 

On the bed, surrounded by doctors, was Kaylee. But this wasn't the happy Kaylee I knew. Instead it was dark, bloody, bruised Kaylee. Her hair was matted with blood and in a tangled mess. Her face was black and blue and her lip and nose had dried blood on it. What was visible of her skin was bruised, swollen, cut, and bloody. The worst part was her leg which stuck up at an odd angle.  

Her eyes were closed, but her chest was coming in gasping breaths. 

"Oh God, Kaylee," I whispered and my heart broke. I turned to Shaun. "What happened?" I asked, my voice barely a whisper. 

By the end of the story my head was swimming. I slumped against the wall, and strong arms caught my waist. I buried my face in Cameron's chest as he gently stroke my hair.  

Then I heard a strangled cry. I glanced at Shaun. He was staring in at Kaylee, his eyes wide, and his face as pale as snow. 

I looked in and my heart stopped. But not in the way Kaylee's just had. 

I watched stricken by fear as her the heart monitor fell flat. The doctors started running around and they pulled out the paddles. Some came out and started to pull away. "Wait, are any of you B blood type?" the head doctor asked. I was A. 

Shaun said quickly, "I'm an O. The doctor nodded, "Come with me. You two go out to the waiting room." I started to panic and fight, "No!" I saw a doctor pull out a needle to pacify me, but I kept fighting.  

When the doctor was about to inject the needle, Cameron stepped him. "I got this." 

Then he grabbed me around the waist and lifted me up. He carried me away as I pounded on his chest, trying to escape. 

He pushed his way into an empty room and pinned me against the bed. "Jessie stop it." 

I continued to fight as tears started to roll down my face. I stopped fighting and my body shook as the last image of Kaylee came back to me. 

Cameron pulled me to his chest as I started to cry in earnest. He picked me up and sat on the floor, cradling me. 

I clutched his shirt as my body was wracked with sobs. "I-I-ca-can't lose her," I managed to get out. "I know," Cameron murmured, stroking my hair. 

Eventually my sobs died down, and Cameron just held me in his arms as we rocked back and forth. "Why didn't I stop this? I should have done something," I whispered. Cameron stopped and said, "I should have. I knew, I could have stopped it." 

I traced a treble clef on his chest and said, "It's not your fault. I'm the best friend. I'm a horrible person, now, because of me she might d-d....." I broke off, unable to say the word.

Cameron turned me so I was facing him. He held my face between his hands and wiped a tear away with his thumb. "You're not a bad person," he said gently, "I've never seen someone care about a friend, anybody for that matter, as much as you do." I trembled as I looked into his dark brown eyes. 

I closed my eyes and slowly breathed in and out, steadying my breathing. Control. 

But that was the thing. That was why I was so scared. No matter what I did, this thing was out of my control. Kaylee could die and it would be out of my control. And the one person who knew me best would be gone. Forever. Never to come back. 

My heart started to pound again as images flashed in my mind, then they stopped as something warm, soft, and gentle pressed against my forehead. My eyes snapped open and I was met with Cameron's chin. His lips gently pressed against my forehead, then went down to kiss the tip of my nose. 

I couldn't move as his lips slowly caressed my skin. I closed my eyes again as he gently kissed each eyelid. Then his lips traveled to my cheek and he kissed along my jawbone. 

Finally he pulled away and I rested against his hard, warm, chest.

                                                        Cameron's P.O.V.

She eventually fell asleep in my arms and I looked down at her. The girl who always had to have everything perfect just had everything turned on her.

For once, the girl with such a big, smart, confidence, aura looked the way she did without it. Scared, fragile, smaller than most girls, and vulnerable. So very, very vulnerable. Normally, a guy would use this to take advantage of her at her weakest. I was quite obviously not in my right mind. Instead of trying to seduce her, I was giving her comfort and love. Even as I held her, I couldn't bring myself to do it to her.

I held her for hours, until eventually we were let into Kaylee's waiting room. She was going to make it. 

I set Jessie down in the chair next to me, and her head rested on my shoulder. Slowly my mind faded into a haze, and I fell into sleep.

Well, here's my newest chapter! Hope you like! I was told things were getting a bit sad, so I'll try to make the next chapters a bit happier! I'm a happy person! Please comment and vote. First person to comment will have a vote, read, and comment on one of their books from me! Here's the song you should listen to because I was typing this as I listened to it, it's an oldie: What a Little Moonlight Can Do By: Billie Holiday. Peace! I'm a flower child after all :). <3

-BabeinBoyland