The Truth About Damien

Jessie's P.O.V.

"RING! RING! RING!" I looked over at my cellphone and my heart sunk as I saw the number "Stevenson Household" flash across my screen.

With a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach I picked up my phone and brought it to my ear as I pushed answer. "Hello?"

"Hi sweetie! It's Lani again! Are you free by chance tonight?"

I shrugged and said, "Yeah, I have no plans." Kaylee told me that she was going to try and spend some girl time with her sister tonight, and seeing as it was a Friday night, and I was currently (maybe permanently) single I didn't exactly have a boyfriend to meet up with.

"Oh that is just fantastic! Well, I mean not for you...but, you know what I mean. Is there any chance you could watch after Jakey tonight? David is home, but he can't cook, or clean, or do really anything. I'm never really sure about Cameron, so I haven't had him babysit since he was twelve..."

As she rambled on, my mind wandered off. Would I have to face Cameron tonight? Hopefully not. He was probably off at some other persons house anyways. I mean, it was a Friday night. People went to parties and stuff. Except for me...the loner.

Lani took a breath from her babbling and she asked, "Could you do it?" 

"Sure thing, I'll head right over," I said jumping to my feet. "Great! Thanks dear!" Lani said and hung up. 

I grabbed my bag and swung it over my shoulder, then pulled on a pair of workout leggings and a white t-shirt and sports bra. My truck was in the shop so I was going to have to bike up there. 

I pulled my hair back into a low braid, grabbed my helmet, and swung up onto my bike.

It wasn't too far of a bike ride...okay, so maybe it was, but it was good for me.

As I pedaled the fall wind nipped at my exposed arms and face, making me wish I had grabbed gloves and a sweatshirt.

About forty-five minutes later I pulled up in front of the Stevenson's house. I put my kickstand off to the side, praying it wouldn't get hit, and I put my helmet over the top. A friend of my mom's died in a biking accident about a year ago, so I always wore a helmet now.

I walked up to the door and rang the bell. I distantly hear someone shout, "Let yourself on in!" I opened the door and stepped forward into the giant entryway. I set my shoes off to the side of the door and walked through the house into the kitchen. "Hi Jessie!" Lani said beaming at me. She was wearing a pretty dress again. She looked at my slightly flushed face and asked, "Are you okay?"

I smiled and nodded, "I'm fine, I just biked up here. My car is in the shop." Lani smiled and handed me a cup of water. "I have to run, but thanks a lot," she said giving me a quick hug.

As she ran out the front door she called, " There's some money on the counter to order in food. Jakey is playing up in his room, David is playing video games in the living room, and Cameron is God knowns where. I'll text him to tell him to give you a ride home."

Before I could protest, she was gone, the door slamming behind her. I stood all alone in the empty entryway, staring after her. 

I turned and walked over into the living room. There was a ten year old boy sitting on the couch playing video games. His hair was a light brown but he had a face almost exactly like Cameron's.

I set my bag down on the floor and said, "Hi, I'm Jessie. I'm watching after you and your little brother tonight." David looked up from the TV in surprise and looked me over with narrow eyes. He looked me up and down and then said, "I don't need a babysitter." I smiled at him and sat down next to him. I leaned toward him and said quietly, "To be honest, I'm not really here for you. I'm just here to give you supper, to make sure your brother doesn't get hurt, and let you guys have a fun time." He looked me over one more time then smiled and nodded.